1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would it take for McCain to win?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As I said before, if he comes out to "Where my Dogs At?" he'll have my vote.

2. Mizzougrad96

Just looked at the polls again. I still think it's going to be a lot closer than these polls are indicating.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As previously asserted . . . BO will peak immediately following the Dem convention.
    McCain will then close the gap -- but he won't get over.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

You're absolutely right about individual state elections. That's why it's much more important to look at the state polls, which paint just how big an uphill climb McCain has.

Obama is ahead in New Mexico, Colorado and Iowa. If he wins all the John Kerry states and takes those three, he wins the election. Which Kerry states is McCain looking to pick off? Michigan is about the only one that looks possible at this point, and Obama has pulled slightly ahead there according to recent polls.

Obama is tied in Virginia, North Carolina and Ohio and barely behind in Georgia and Florida.

5. Mizzougrad96

Weren't you the same one who posted that Obama had a 10-point lead in Florida?

I'm just asking... :D

6. Mizzougrad96

I think it will be very close in popular vote, but I agree that when I look at the state breakdown it looks tough for McCain.

7. Mizzougrad96

Right now my worry is that Obama picks Edwards and he delivers North Carolina.

If that happens, it's going to be nearly impossible for McCain to win.

8. Grimace

Grimace Guest

It's not just that McCain has to pull even to Obama, which will be difficult given the lack of enthusiasm, money and grass roots support, McCain has surge past him. I just don't think his campaign can muster enough energy to do that.

Barring any major gaffes, why would things change? If anything, it's Obama who isn't as well known, and who has the most room to grow. The public will become more used to him and more comfortable with him as the months go along.

9. Mizzougrad96

I agree with you. I also think there is the possibility that Obama is riding a surge of popularity that may wane in the coming months. I think that barring something fairly significant happening, he's going to win.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Obama not being well-known helps him right now, because he's seen as a charismatic guy who brings "change."

What could hurt him is that when he starts articulating his positions on issues, the public might see him as a liberal extremist in the McGovern/Mondale mold, coupled with the naievete of a freshman senator. Because when he does articulate his positions, they aren't middle-of-the-road.

That's the only chance McCain has -- the public gets scared of Obama.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

McCain's best chance to win?

Well he has to simply hold all of Bush's states, but I'm not sure he can.

Hell yesterday Rush Limbaugh was ripping McCain a new asshole for his views on the war and the economy and on drilling ...... it seems as if the right-wing lovefest for McCain -- which lasted all of about ten minutes is over -- and that's as responsible for any "bounce" Obama has gotten as anything.....

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

You obviously weren't at the New Hampshire Town Hall meeting, where he had disagreements with two people.

Draft saved Draft deleted