1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would it take for McCain to win?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

McCain has to wear something besides that Navy cap, and stop speaking only to ultra friendly groups with about 50 American flags behind him a la Cheney.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Of course Edwin Edwards always said the only thing that could bring him down was bein' caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl ....

3. lono

lono Active Member

BINGO!

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Obama putting Hillary on the ticket.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Reading SJ Political Pissing matches > Reading SJ layoff/buyout threads

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I agree. McCain will win and the Democrats will be asking if anyone saw that truck coming.

It's the law of gravity people. What goes up....

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You could say the same thing about the recent 28-year GOP parabolic curve. It's headed downnnnnnnn.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The Supreme Court could rule that gay marriage must be recognized in all 50 states. (Not that there's a case pending to do that, of course.)

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ah, I wouldn't quite say nothing can stop Obama's train. If another Tony Rezko or three comes out of the woodwork, it might cause the train to jump the tracks a bit.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Obama probably does have another skeleton or three in the closet, but I'm guessing Johnny Mac has a handful in his as well. No one who's been in office as long as he has doesn't, on either side of the spectrum.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

McCain needs to somehow get evangelicals back in his camp, like, yesterday. I don't see it happening, but he needs to figure out a way to make them happier, even if it's convincing them that Obama will have drive-through abortion clinics. Without gay marriage initiatives to drive turnout, McCain is going to major, major issues with organization and people willing to knock on doors come election day and get people to the polls in Missouri, Ohio, Michigan, etc. The stuff like Tony Rezko doesn't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. You've got one candidate with a lot of money who is driving turnout in a major way, and another who is basically suppressing turnout and doesn't have a lot of money or organization.

If you look at that link that Zeke posted, the electoral numbers simply are not there for McCain right now. Anyone predicting a "McCain blowout" is living in a fairy tale land and they haven't paid attention to any of the research out there. Can he win? Sure. But a lot is going to have to change for him beyond the "people won't vote for a black guy" line of thinking.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who has predicted a McCain blowout? I know a lot can change between now and November, but right now, it looks like he's going to get his ass kicked.

Draft saved Draft deleted