1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would hurt more: 1987 NFL scabs or 2007 writing scabs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I can't remember how bad the players were during the '87 strike, but I'd have to imagine that brand of football would be worse than the TV would be if writers crossed today and started producing scripts for The Office, ER, etc.

Maybe in '87 the writing would have been beyond awful, but there are so many more avenues to hone the craft today than back then.

Thoughts?

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Have you seen some of the tripe on TV? It CAN'T be that hard to come up with some of that shit.

Yeah, you'll really miss the two or three quality shows being put out. The rest of them, though ... who really gives a shit?

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The problem with the 1987 NFL scabs was the quality of play was extremely uneven. There were some teams whose scabs played really well (for instance, Washington's), but there were others whose scabs put their teams behind the 8 ball because they were lousy (the Giants come to mind). Then you had the teams with players who crossed the picket lines and played.

A writer's strike and the NFL players strike are two completely different animals. Writers are a dime a dozen. NFL-caliber players are not.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Underrated movie. I watch it every time it's on TBS because it's a decent flick and I rule.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Writers worth a damn are the reason for the strike.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I support the writers 100 percent and will not support scabs...

But now that you bring it up, would it result in BETTER TV in some cases? :)

7. The problem with being a scab is that you're, well, a scab.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

"Bruises heal. Chicks dig scars. Glory last forever." ::)

I don't think writers are a dime a dozen. Yes, there is a ton of crap on TV (which explains why I watch so little of the scripted variety), but I would not want to see an established show known for clever writing in the hands of some talentless twit who couldn't write for the Hungry Horse News.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

diamond dozen?

Outing alert: BigSleeper is Yogi Berra.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Crap. Fixed that. Picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue, I guess.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Writers are. Give a monkey a pen and he thinks he's Norman Mailer.

The truly exceptional ones are the ones that are hard to come by.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I doubt that the lame bullshit on TV is any more the fault of the writers than the lame bullshit in newspapers is the fault of the writers. In both cases there's some mongoloid saying, "Nah, people will never get it, it won't sell, change it."

Draft saved Draft deleted