1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would happen if Americans stopped smoking?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 19, 2011.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Would end guys saying, "If she smokes, she f*cks." (Well, at least that's what some guys I know used to say.)

2. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Never gonna happen. Smokes and liquor are the last legal drugs we have, and they account for a shitload of money floating around this country.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are way overestimating those economic benefits. Every effort to do some kind of welfare analysis that I have seen has been flawed, mostly because it is difficult to estimate all the cost -- from second hand smoke costs to days off from work by smokers to how much more in medical costs smokers incur over their lifetime. But there is really no doubt that tobacco use causes a fairly significant net economic loss, not just in the U.S., but worldwide.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I said that one time as a youth in a lunch room and a large, crew-cut truck driver with a 16-year-old daughter who smoked took exception to that.

I haven't had the urge to smoke -- or say that again -- since.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The problem was that his daughter never took exception.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

This has always ticked me off. And then three months ago, when I went shopping for a new car, I was shocked to discover that many new models no longer have ashtrays. I test drove models from four different automakers and there wasn't an ash tray in any of them. I didn't know this was the case. Not that this is an excuse . . .

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Allow me to try answering Rick's and Ragu's responses to my post in one swoop.

I am a non-smoker. I can't stand being around people when they're smoking, I hate the smell. However there is the reality that whenever politicians are looking for a quick fix for revenue they raise the sin taxes (cigarettes, alcohol). If everyone stopped smoking, that option would be eliminated. Also, to play devil's advocate, if people didn't spend money on cigarettes, who's to say they'd spend it on something else? Given the economy they'd likely save the money to pay off other bills. Maybe I was being sarcastic or exaggerating the employment aspect.
    I was also looking at the costs from a purely governmental perspective as opposed to the entire economy. Smokers make money for the insurance industry as they can charge smokers higher premiums. As long as the smoker has health insurance the hospital or doctors are still making money, on the other hand, if they're uninsured, the medical providers will lose money hand-over-fist. I'm not an economist but how do you put a dollar amount on lost productivity due to sick days - don't other employees have to pick up the slack?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If people save the money to pay off other bills, the companies that they owed those bills to get the money. It all goes somewhere.

The key to understanding economics is to stop thinking of it in terms of "money." Money represents stuff and time. The economy grows when we have more people spending time doing productive things, when we find ways to make them more productive, and when we have more natural resources.

Using a percentage of our time and stuff to create popular, self-administered poison is only a negative. When it stops, we'll use that same time and stuff to do something more useful.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Very nice!

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I put my cigarette butts in a Pepsi can that sits in my cupholder. I rotate them out as needed.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

What the hell would we do after our eight seconds of connubial bliss?

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Came across this on Planet Money and thought it'd fit in well here. Bloomberg looks at why China won't stop smoking anytime soon:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-20/china-endorsing-tobacco-in-schools-adds-to-10-trillion-gdp-cost.html

Draft saved Draft deleted