1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would happen if Americans stopped smoking?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why do smokers think that cigarette butts are a license to litter? You think that crap is organic material like a banana peel or something?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me how pervasive broken window fallacy and a lack of understanding of opportunity cost are when people talk about economics.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's one of my pet peeves. Especially in the summer drought season when you see highway medians burned out from a smoker tossing a butt from his car.

4. RickStain

Same here. The occasional run-in with secondhand smoke doesn't bother me, but butts everywhere do. And yet every smoker I know swears they never do it.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

he said quit smoking, not quit cocaine.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One section that leaped off the page to me: "The end of smoking would even ripple as far as corporate philanthropy. Between 1997 and 2005, the tobacco industry made over $143 million in charitable donations."

Isn't the tobacco industry as a whole profitable to the tune of billions upon billions? So over eight years they donated about $18 mil per year? I'm quite unimpressed.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would become way bitchier.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

We're not keeping those nasty things in our cars.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Really?

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Because the economy (states combined and federal) would likely lose more than $100 billion in tax revenue from the per-pack taxes charged and income taxes the cigarette companies (or their parent companies) pay.
    Plus the tens of thousands people involved in the manufacture of cigarettes (from farm employees to the factories where the cigarettes are made to delivery people) would suddenly become unemployed.

11. RickStain

Broken window fallacy.

All that money that isn't being spent on cigarettes? It'd go to other parts of the economy. 10s of thousands of people would be hired in other fields because all the money that used to get spent on cigarettes can now be spent on something else, and that increases demand across the board.

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

French people would look down their noses at us. Unlike how it is now.

Draft saved Draft deleted