1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will you take away from COVID-19?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1. That I need rejoin the gym that I was going to for the first time in my life prior to the pandemic and now I have to lose the six pounds that I’ve gained since this all began.

2. That I really like working from home, especially without a two-hour round trip commute. I hope they allow us to do so, at least part of the time. I’m going to feel kinda depressed when I do have to go back to the office.

3. That the few times I went to my office in April and May ended up making me feel like I was walking through Armageddon or something. Instead of thousands of people being in town, it was nearly deserted.

4. That 74 million American voters are bunch of fucking idiots. Seriously, beyond policy disagreements and anything else, there is a deadly pandemic and the economy in ruins and you STILL thought the guy in charge deserved to keep his job?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    SFIND, maumann, OscarMadison and 4 others like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think this place (America, not just sj.com) has lost sight of what an "economy in ruins" really looks like. Probably because you have to be 95 years old to have a real memory of one.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

First just how broken our government is. At a time when we needed real leadership, we were left with people who were more focused on not letting the other guy win or admit things are bad enough that we need to make changes.

Second just how selfish people are. Not that everything we did was perfect but it was for the benefit of others. The fact that not only could some not acknowledge that but actually got mad that they had to make sacrifices. Meanwhile some of us lost friends and family but that didn’t change minds. People continue to get sick and that doesn’t change minds.

Oh and masks are some how the biggest threat to freedom in the history of threats to freedom.

I’ve lost so much respect for some friends and family over the last year. It will take a while for that to get fixed.

SFIND, maumann, OscarMadison and 7 others like this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Oh and I don’t know why I waited so long to start using my SodaStream.

wicked likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Still pondering the question, but also this:

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

well you gotta take the good with the bad sometimes

SFIND, swingline, garrow and 6 others like this.
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

-- I became much more politically aware. It hit home when a friend and I were talking about McCain. I really liked him. She said she did, too, "until he became a traitor to his party." I was stunned by this. I should have told her that his party became a traitor to him. I told her I had always been a Republican, but I voted for people, not parties. I got more knowledgable. I don't want to be labeled "Democrat" but I am moving farther and farther away from what Republicans believe.

-- My cardiologist ordered me to lose 15 pounds. Avoid sugar and carbs. I never used much sugar, other than margaritas. So I did stop making them. I would have had a blender-full 2-3 times a week. But my wife learned how to make sour dough bread. It is so good I can't stop. About 3 months ago, decisions were made for me to have hip replacement surgery (happening next Friday). Some friends who have done this told me to try to be in the best shape possible, it will help with the rehab. So I stopped alcohol completely 3 months ago. I have only lost a few pounds, but increased stretching, I hope, will be beneficial.

-- I have never had much patience with people who think they are smarter than everybody else. Those feeling are increasing every time I see someone not wearing a mask or talking against vaccinations.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    SFIND, maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'd like to say 30 years of dealing with sports parents was plenty of preparation for dealing with customers that don't want to follow the rules, but some things even the worst parent of a kid who he/she thinks was screwed out of a spot on the all-league team can't prepare you for.

Most people are good, as we all know from too many years on the prep beat. But the idiots who don't want to mask, keep their distance or not wait for the sanitation measures to be finished stick with you. Especially the assholes.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    SFIND, OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  9. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I learned I have next to no string cravings for beer. That’s pretty surprising considering my habits for high school, seven years university with about seven more years of rugby following. I’m not a big fan of drinking alone, so no social life * social drinker = 1 glass of wine in a year. Christmas dinner.

Also I need some friends who aren’t married. Once we had to circle the wagons, I haven’t felt closely connected to anyone.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Pure hatred for the “Republican” leadership.

I can live with a lot of things, but flat-out lying and deliberately contributing to the suffering and deaths of so many people ... no.

I will never forgive them.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Increasesd distrust of those who claim to be pro-life..

OscarMadison and Baron Scicluna like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted