1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Will The Redskins Change Their Name To?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Because it's going to happen. Unwillingly, but it will, because odds seem very good a Trademark Trial and Appeal Board is going to strip the team of its trademark. It happened once before, in 1999, but was reversed years later on a technicality. This time, that technicality has been addressed.

Nationally, this issue is gaining traction. A number of Redskins fans around here are burying their heads in the sand on this issue, led by GM/head cheerleader Bruce Allen, whose words and rationale do nothing to address the arguments at hand. The team is up shit's creek on this one. It's not going to be able to last. The alt-weekly here already calls them the Pigskins. There's some thought the new name may end up being the Warriors, but the franchise will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into it. Losing the trademark will provide that very push.

Thoughts?

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/03/07/fight-on-battle-over-redskins-name-heads-to-court/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My first thought is that it is just tremendous that defending the name's honor is left to Bruce Allen, brother of "Senator Macaca." Why can't everyone just be white, dammit?

I have no suggestions for the nickname, but as long as Dan Snyder is unhappy with it, it's all good by me.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

The Washington Wrecked Knees.

The Washington Minions of Ratboy

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bullets. Given the county the stadium's in, appropriate.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Braves

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Washington Football Club.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Warriors. Then they can keep the logo.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Local high school voluntarily changed its name from Redskins to Red Hawks about 10 years ago. I would laugh at the Washington Red Hawks. But I laugh at that organization all the time.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

FC Washington.

FU Washington. Love, Danny.

The Snydercrooks.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The Griffins.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Filibusters.

Thread Status: