1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will sports journalism look like in 10 years?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not exactly. Localization does not maximize readership. The idea of competition is passé at this point. Milwaukee Bucks fans want to read about LeBron James scoring 61 points. They already are at a Milwaukee news site or holding a Milwaukee newspaper. Don't let them down. Write something about it, even if it's The 10 Highest-Scoring Games In Bucks History or something tangentially related like that. Sports fans don't tend to only care about the sports happening within an hour drive of their homes.

You have readers. Give them want they want. Worrying about exclusivity or competition is a losing game.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I remember the days when a no-hitter was an automatic, tear-up-the-page, going-on-sports-front moment.

Now I see it in the C6 briefs.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I think you'll much more and more videos on newspaper sites in ten years. Not only in the form of highlights or videos of interveiws/pressers, but you'll see more papers's have that video discussions/analysis of given beats by writers. In the last year in my state, I've seen that spring up in the major metros, and I know of one small paper that's doing that for HS football in its community.

As far as what's in the paper, I agree with people with the notion of more features and less gamers. Especially with deadlines getting pushed back earlier and earlier. For preps that I cover, conference websites have great systems with schedules and result reporting. Some schools that keep stats on laptops with the system have box scores uploaded and on the site within five minutes of the completion of the game. More and more conferences have picked up that system in the last five years. In another ten, I'm sure nearly every school/conference will have something comparable. Heck, even some schools running their own sites have "news" sections with brief game reports that a up 30-45 minutes after a game that the AD types out either at the school or on the phone. So what can papers offer? More and more features, more analysis of the game in the form of analysis from coaches/players.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Then they will have a website.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to let everyone know about my latest business venture.

I'll be opening a Thai restaurant in the space on the right, in the picture below:

[​IMG]

6. Dick Whitman

I understand market saturation.

On the other hand, in my neck, they just put up a Chipotle in the same parking lot as a Q-doba. The Q-doba will be out of business within six months. It's a ghost town.

7. 93Devil

Only if Daddy pays for it right?

You are still not a lawyer.

8. YankeeFan

People used to complain that Starbucks would come to town, and open right next to, or across the street from the local coffee shop, and cannibalize its business.

Now, it's the other way around. Folks figure Starbucks has done the research and found a good location. Owners of high end coffee shops now look to open close to Starbucks, with the aim of taking away their business.

9. 93Devil

You have had every chance in life, and this is how you use it. Private school. Daddy pays for college. Daddy pays for your business. I could take 100 kids from hillbilly Virginia and give them your chances and they would be light years ahead of you.

You fix shitty coffee machines for a living and troll a message board that you have no experience in its topic matter. You have driven off many multiple national writers with your trolling, and many people on this board hate your guts because of it. Yet you still post.

You think these people are your friends, but they are not. If they were a few of them would have gone to Chicago for your get together. That almost made me feel bad for you. I could give a shit if people like me or not on here. You obviously do.

And of course people responding to your shit, is how you hope to spend your day.

It's pathetic, but that's how you have chosen to live your life.

I need to stop reading your posts. I really do.

10. Dick Whitman

Dude, he made a totally mundane post about business tactics.

WTF?

11. YankeeFan

Devil, I make fun of myself more than anyone.

You should learn to laugh at yourself. It would help a lot.

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

When I was feeling particularly cynical, I'd refer to myself as a Family Scrapbook Content Generator. It's not bad as far as job titles go. It's even got capital letters an' stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted