1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will make 2012 stand out for you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WriteThinking, Dec 30, 2012.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

For the first 11 months of 2012, everything in my life was perfect. Then I ran into a major clusterf*ck at work that ruined my entire Christmas.
    But, hey, you know what? These things have a way of working themselves out and I'm confident it won't take me long this year to post great news about the end of my career in newsprint and the beginning of the next chapter in my life.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Hemorrhoids went away.
    All is good.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

actually, it's really weird. it's been almost a year, but i still open the door every morning, look around, and am almost giddy. i undersold getting back here "some day" for way too long.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Great year for me with one exception (my grandmother passed) after a shitty 2011.

Had a baby boy in April
    Found a wonderful woman willing to put up with drama from my crazy ex
    Transitioned to PR and got a great new job
    Oh, and I Bought a Mercedes yesterday to close out the year

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

My job has sucked every bit of energy I have left, and is starting to make me a bitter person. I leave almost every day feeling like a failure.

My best friend got married in a wonderful ceremony that I'll never forget.

I got fat.

Was a finalist for a job that I didn't get, but not sure that I wanted anyway. The only positive is that it would've got me out of my current position.

Dr. J, of course, got a new job without even trying. Two days after blaming me for pressuring him to accept it, he basically told me it was the best decision he's ever made. Boys. ;D

Overall, more bad than good. But my relationship with Dr. J is stronger than ever -- and that's pretty amazing to be able to say almost 10 years in. If I can just get a new job and start to pay off some debt life will be amazing.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son got engaged.
    My daughter came home.
    I met Amy and she has become a terrific friend.

We'll stop there and just think positive thoughts. If I start to go in the other direction, I may be here all day - and into next week.

7. I'm sure you're joking, but the local election coverage resulted in my downfall.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Best thing that happened in 2012: It ended.

Just kidding. The best thing that happened in 2012 was when I got the opportunity to interview for a manager in training position. Then I got the opportunity to develop leadership skills at my job even though I didn't get the position. Also, I started graduate school.

The worst thing that happened? When my longtime manager moved to New Orleans. The silver lining there is that I developed a stronger relationship with my current acting manager and found she adjusts her managerial style to her staff. Our one-on-one meetings have been the most relaxed of any I've had, and that includes my longtime manager's.

Here's hoping 2013 will be better!

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

2012 was an overall bad year. A couple of great moments do not outweigh the BS i put up with in my job and life as a whole.

I'd like to think 2013 will be better. I've already made a few decisions at the end of 2012 to get things going in the right direction, as hard as they were to make.

That said, personally, the year got off to a shitty start when I got stood up by a friend for lunch (he overslept!).

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Last few months have been a mixed bag. Drunk broke into my car in October, looks like I may have to find new housing, dealin with an editor who has no effing idea of what's going on in the sports dept. -- unless someone emails her a stor idea, and it becomes The Most Important Story We Do -- and, after a few months, getting over a setback in my romantic life (long story).

But I'm optimistic for 2013.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Travel was the main theme of 2012 for me. My job took me west of the Rockies for the first time in my life ... several times actually. Absolutely love the West Coast. Wish I could afford to live out there.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You California lib!

Draft saved Draft deleted