1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will make 2012 stand out for you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WriteThinking, Dec 30, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Navigated a bit of a work-related crisis in October when our lead desk guy left, but I never let it get the better of me and we had a new guy installed by November. By contrast, my boss is still trying to fill a news-side desk opening that popped up in late October.

My other move in 2012, bringing in one of our weekly writers to do preps, has paid off nicely.

Away from work, not bad at all. Got a week's vacation in Florida with my wife and the extended family, and crossed several things off the do-list around the house that had eluded us both in 2011. One of our four cats died, which sucked, but it's been interesting to watch the others adjust.

My wife successfully pitched herself for two (!) jobs that begin in January, so we're looking forward to a busy 2013.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Eventful year for me.

Spent last NYE in India.
    Sprained my ankle badly
    Ruptured two discs in my back
    My dearest friend of 27 years died
    Won a national design award
    Won a state design award
    Got engaged
    Ended up as runner-up for huge job I thought I had in the bag
    My oldest goddaughter got married
    Had back surgery
    Got married

3. The 2012 election (likely) led to the end of my newspaper career.
    I'll find out Wednesday.

4. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I went to bed one night with one life and woke up to a very different one.

The events of 2012 brought me here. The events of 2012 brought unexpected new friends into my life.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And Amy doesn't have to share her newbie of the year honor with anyone!

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Saturday before Thanksgiving, I finally told my wife I want out after 14 years. It will be a long time before I know which category it goes in.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, that such a tale was going on kinda came out bit by bit here. Best of luck to you, dixie.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This vaguely sums up my 2012:

In the best and most significant ways, this year has been the greatest of my life, but it also included my biggest loss. I've spent nearly every one of the past 365 days watching the two most important people in my life embrace theirs and grow -- in wildly different but equally amazing ways. At the same time, I've spent more than six months now doing my best to ignore the guilt I feel for being so damn happy. I think of all the wonderful little things that make up my life and I can't help but smile. But I think of the one person I can't share them with and it's all I can do to keep from crying.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Father died; 3 weeks later, granddaughter was born.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

There is something to be said about that.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Consequences, etc. For what it's worth, I did my damndest to save your job. And the country.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I don't work in newspapers anymore, which should make me happy but somehow is a downer anyway. I miss the people and the daily buzz. I don't miss the workload and the asshat managers. I don't know what the future holds, and I sure wish I did.

I hope this country gets back on track in 2013. Happy New Year regardless. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted