1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What will make 2012 stand out for you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WriteThinking, Dec 30, 2012.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

As the year 2012 draws to a close, but before any New Year's Eve imbibing clouds any memories, I thought I'd start a thread in which we could gather the best and worst of the past year for ourselves.

The best thing that happened for me this year occurred a little over three weeks ago when I got a promotion to a department manager position at the Walmart at which I've been working.

Walmart has its issues and, I know, isn't well thought of around here. But I'll continue to say that it has treated me well, my experience there has been better than I ever anticipated, there are good things about working there, and, for me, at least, doing so has been a godsend.

I'm happy and excited and looking forward to, hopefully, building on the little bit of success I've had there so far. Thanks primarily to my current work, 2012 has also been the year in which I've truly, and finally, been able to move on from newspapers with any sense that things are going to be okay.

The worst thing for me? Well, I can't really say I had any worsts in my own personal life, and for that I'm extremely fortunate and thankful. Outside of some money worries, which I'm learning to worry about less and less, even during a time in which I've probably "had" less than ever in the material sense, life has been good to me and I really cannot complain.

Anyone else have contributions that made for a memorable year in 2012? Good, bad or indifferent, I'd love to hear about them.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I took a job working in disaster relief this year. Technically, it's an AmeriCorps project and I don't make much money but it's been the most satisfying job I've ever had. (I am including Peace Corps in that.) And I have an amazing and supportive supervisor.

It's been 18 months since this town suffered a FEMA-level 5 disaster (same as Katrina) and there are still 700 families living in FEMA THUs, plus many, many more still crashing at families' and friends' places.

For the first time, I can see that my work impacts people directly. I work in communications and am doing news releases, talking points, newsletters, etc., and I've been thrown into the fire on grant-writing. I pitch a story, I get it on TV or the newspaper and all of a sudden positive things happen. I got a $4,000 check in the mail yesterday - a full month after my fund-raising campaign ended.

I arrived in June -- just before the anniversary of the flood -- and have, pretty much by myself, brought in $200k in flood relief efforts. Out of that, I wrote two checks for $63,012.80 to two partner organizations that will directly put people back into their homes. Up until now, I can't say that I ever saw any action because of something I'd written.

Here, I make a difference -- a real change in people's lives.

I'm only here by the grace of God, I know. I never would have picked this place, but they offered housing and I chose it over a couple of other options. Turns out, I'm in the right spot.

It's been such a good place for me I'm trying to put the post-disaster relief life on hold and stay here until 10/13, which is when my organization hopes to finish its part of the rebuild.

If I manage to stay until then, that's my plan for most of 2013, but if I can't, next up is foreign service. I've qualified and passed all the clearances. First I could accept would be July, but I am hoping to stay where I am and not deploy until 2014.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Things happened this year that were quite possibly the worst things ever in my 45 years. And yet, I finally had some Christmas cheer and smiled.

Funny how life works out.

I am not where I want to be. But I'm still better than I was. Life is a roller coaster. The lows are low. But the highs are higher than they used to be.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

2012 is the year i finally got back to the place where i wanted to live after being "on the road" for 13 years.

that alone made it a glorious year.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Losing our daily newspaper?

Yeah. That's it.

Losing our daily newspaper.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Same here.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

2012 sucked balls.

It will always be the year of my son's diagnosis.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Which one will she choose?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

sorry to those who had shitty years. may the next be better.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i think gator will age better.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You're no longer a Traveling Wilbury?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

ha. nadda. and it's amaaaaazing to wake up every morning in a location where you actually want to be. no job for no amount of money could ever lure me out of this place again.

Draft saved Draft deleted