1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What were you doing when you were 23?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 6, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

At 23 I graduated college. Then I went downtown. To look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drug store.

Got hired by AP and moved to New York to do an AP baseball agate clerk gig. Had already done the other end of the phone line as a box score guy working with the bureau sportswriter at the MLB games in my home city.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

At 23, I was working at my first paper - a 22k daily in Idaho.
    I had just become ASE after a whopping 7 months of full-time reporting.
    I was months away from getting married to the girl, who at the time, was the girl of my dreams (Oh, how things have changed).
    Things were pretty simple then.
    Go to work. Come home to a nice big apartment. Hang out with my college buddies. Party a lot. Have fun.

Well, I kind of do all of that now, though I could have done without the divorce. Otherwise, life is pretty fucking good right now.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Does three kittens equal a puppy getting thrown off a cliff by a marine?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so damn solid it's sick.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Hadn't really thought about this much, but now that I am, it was a pretty damn eventful year, 1975.
    I graduated from college after 4-1/2 years, that was 3 weeks after my birthday. Five month later, went from part-time stringer to full time at the local 40,000 at something like $6 an hour, and have been overworked and underpaid ever since.
    Got the first apartment that I had to pay for myself. Had a '70 Camaro (350 ci, 4 bbl.) that I wish I still had. Covered preps, JCs and hockey and loved every minute of it.
    Really, this thread has been a nice break from the Singleton-induced doom and gloom that has pretty much consumed me and others around here this week. Thanks for the brief respite. Later today, San Jose is up as the bloodbath resumes.

6. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Buying Lee stock by the truck load.

7. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

at 23, i cranking out maximization functions and using matrix algebra in the first year of an econ ph.d program, wondering if economics would ever get better. ultimately, it proved it would not.

and i was freelancing about music and entertainment while appreciating the greatest professional perk i've ever received--the chance to e-mail about twice weekly with r-dub.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was writing a book. Well, that's not entirely true. At 23 I was procrastinating and occasionally writing. At 24 I was busting ass trying to get it done.

9. One line into a fine country song there, lad.

Draft saved Draft deleted