1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What were you doing when you were 23?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 6, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I was going to college part-time, stringing four nights a week and working full-time on the graveyard shift in a credit card facility. Needless to say, that did not end well. Ran myself into the ground, nearly had a mental breakdown/epiphany on the belt one night and dropped both jobs for the first newspaper gig I could find.

Talked my way onto a 3K weekly (editorial staff of two), did layout for the first time and took up photography for the first time since ninth grade. It's been onward and westward since.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

At 23, I got rid of everything I owned except the stuff that fit in the back of my pickup truck, hauled it all out to California on a four-day, 2,500-mile road trip by myself, and started the job I have now.

First piece of furniture I bought was a $20 bookcase from Target. Then a do-it-yourself desk from Wal-Mart. Slept on an air mattress in my ghetto apartment for six months until I could afford to buy a real bed.

Best move of my life, believe it or not.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Learning all about life.

I was working my first job in the profession. I was the sports editor AND the county reporter. Courthouse, trials, county commissioners, etc., during the day, high school games at night. I was making $125 a WEEK; my first raise was $5 a week.

I was living in an apartment and next door was a magnificent-looking nursing student. The legs she had . . . wish I had the nerve to ask her out. Never did; always regretted it.

4. I was worthless, working in a liquor store, drinking all of my pay.

Good times.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

That's the way to do it.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

At 23 I graduated college and fulfilled my lifelong dream: getting a job exactly where I wanted, meeting the woman I would marry and attaining the greatest sense of serenity I would ever know.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Shut up.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Sorry. I still got the first two, serenity not so much.

9. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

I was working at a 30K daily in the mid-South along with a bunch of people right around my age, which made the whole experience a great deal more fun that it would have been otherwise.

One of my co-workers and I shared the upstairs portion of a subdivided Victorian mansion, paying $175 a month each. I had no credit cards, no car payment (I was driving a 12-year-old Chevrolet Citation, a fine car -- seriously) and no debt of any kind. My idea of splurging on my $390-a-week salary was to drive 30 miles to the nearest decent-size city and have a meal at the Olive Garden, which seemed to me at the time to be the height of fine dining.

In some ways, I yearn for that kind of simplicity.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I was living in an almost bare (futon and TV only) $675-a-month efficiency apartment while making $17,500 a year. Smoking dope and playing Final Fantasy VII while trolling along as the city hall reporter for a small daily.

I bought beer for a kid who worked at a local big-box grocery store. In return, he would steal cartons of Marlboro Lights.

Defaulted on my college loans, had check floating down to a science. Drove a 1985 candy-apple red Buick Skylark whilst drunk and returning from our paper's biweekly payday-Wednesday excursion to the local bar for 99-cent Natural Light (mmm ... the only beer you have to chew, and on tap!!!)

Had a blast. Ten years later, wouldn't change a thing if I had it all over again. (OK, maybe the defaulted loans part.)

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

When I was 23, I killed my first kitten.

Oh, wait, that was 13! Maybe 12.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If god really kills a kitten every time you touch yourself, I am responcible for three deaths before i even have my breakfast.

Draft saved Draft deleted