1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What were you doing 10 years ago?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Dec 22, 2010.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

December 17, 2000 I was in Convention Hall in Asbury Park, NJ seeing Bruce Springsteen, the Max Weinberg 7 and special guests give the first Holiday show (in what was a mini-near annual tradition - 2000, 2001, 2003)

December 24-25, 2000 I was working a desk shift.

The rest of December 2000, I don't remember what I was doing. Figure it was desk shift or high school girls basketball tournament coverage most nights Dec. 26-30 and desk 5 nights a week the rest of the month.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Just quit a high school journalism teaching gig after four months and felt great about it, despite losing the $38K and benefits. And some other stuff that is best left unmentioned in public :)

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Not sure. Getting through 10th grade.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

In December 2000? Working at a small daily in northern Michigan as a news editor/reporter/photographer etc. We could choose one night off among Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve, and since I was already married and we had a young son (with a daughter on the way), I certainly didn't need New Year's Eve off.

I usually took Thanksgiving off so I could drive back with Mrs. Coco to Chicagoland for Thanksgiving with the inlaws. I don't miss lake-effect snow, BTW.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I was writing sports.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It was Christmas Day 1996 and I had to work the next morning at 6 am. A buddy of mine, who was Kerry Collins roommate at PSU, was a teacher in California and the epiphany happened that the pay of writing sucked and the hours were worse.

It was not like teaching was great pay, but I was always good at working with kids, and I really never felt that I was a great writer, so I went with what I really felt my strengths were at the time.

I am doing pretty well in education, but my career has sort of stalled (same job for five years). Budget cuts nuked the positions I was pegged to be promoted into, so in the summer hopefully I will be back administrating in a school setting.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

One question: Have you ever been featured in one of Poindexter's threads?

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

Working my dream job in sports journalism

It made me an expert in the subject but turned out to be a dead end.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Six months into my marriage and working as a 32-hour part time prep guy at the state's largest daily, my destination paper. Perfectly happy, not yet into the rat race of worrying whether I'd ever get full-time, get a beat, etc. And the future of newspapers? Huh?

My wife and I lived in this tiny garage apartment on the beach that was sheer paradise. Didn't have that much stuff; moved there with a midsized U-Haul. Fast forward to a decade later, we've got a kid and need the full semitrailer to move into our new house next week.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Was a copy editor at was then my state's second-largest daily and looking forward to bigger and better things ahead. Today, I'd be pretty damned happy to get back to where I was 10 years ago.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Since this thread was started yesterday.....

Celebrating my 21st birthday by witnessing Syracuse getting blown out by Tennesee at the Dome. I was also in a two-and-a-half year relationship to a miserable relationship to a miserable douchebag.

I was about a year in driving patchs crazy at my first and really only (I've been there over 10 years) journalism gig. I was also working at the coolest job ever -- used CD store. My old boss posted a commercial they made at the local community college for the store on her facebook page the other day. I wish I could figure out how to post it one here, you guys would've loved it. High Fidelity got nothin' on us. :D

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i was still in the newspaper business. i still had no doubt it was the only thing i would ever do as a career. i was sure i'd be famously successful in the biz. yeah, my life didn't quite turn out that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted