1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What were you doing 10 years ago?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I was on Christmas break during my second year of college, sitting at home with mono, going through a long-distance pregnancy scare with a girl I was sort of half-dating. Fun times.
    Ask me this question on Dec. 22, 2011, and my answer will be much shorter: "Bong rips."

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I was about to start a new job, my first real journalism job, that pretty much killed the socializing on any weekend the rest of my time in college, just before I turned 21. I was dating two girls, one who I was stupid over, but who didn't care all that much about me, and generally thinking I was hot shit on my way to even hotter shit. I've since received some new perspectives on myself, and this industry.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Well on my way to flunking out of college and getting kicked out of the house.

Things have picked up a bit since then.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I was mooching off my parents, 2 years out of high school and 1 year before going to college. A sort of education hiatus, if you will.
    No responsibilities at all. Those were the days. Except for the whole "being a lazy bum" thing, it was kinda cool.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Finishing my next-to-last semester of school, doing some freelance work for the local paper, figuring that once I got my degree, I'd be set for jobs. I was also somewhat less fat.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Masterbating into a jar and crying.

OK, not really. I was three months into my first pro newspaper sports gig in my hometown covering D-I hockey and loving every minute of it. I also had just recently gotten drunk, called my girlfriend and proposed over the phone 24 hours after I could have done it in person while she was in town (she lived 6 hours away) for Thanksgiving and I had chickened out.
    She said yes and I bought her a ring for Christmas. Proposed to her twice that day, once at her parents and once at mine.
    We've been married for 8 wonderful years.

Yet, I still masterbate into a jar and cry a lot as well.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Second year in education (fifth grade) after walking away from the newspaper biz in 1997. From 1997-1999 I was a full time student replacing the first college degree that was not as valuable anymore.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

And that's the story of why spikechiquet was banned from the State Fair Jelly and Jam Competition

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Smart man...

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I was in my 20s, living on the Outer Banks and working at a twice-weekly. No complaints.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was in my second basketball season at this job. MrsExpendable and I were getting ready for our first child to be born in April of 2001, and I was complaining that I had to pay something like $1.45 for gas.

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I was attending college, working as a stringer at my local paper and working the front desk at a Hampton Inn. Great, great times.

Draft saved Draft deleted