1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What were you doing 10 years ago?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Dec 22, 2010.

1. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I'm sure this thread's been done, but hell, what thread hasn't? December 2000 ... what were y'all doing? I'll start. I was in Kentucky covering a women's basketball team. I was all set to fly to Bumblefuzz, Arkansas, to cover a game, but thank God that ice storm hit. Game canceled. My beloved aunt died and two of my sisters were colossal bitches at her wake. Didn't know it then, but a sweet little yellow lab was born and my parents adopted him a couple months later. He's still kickin', and he still loves to have his butt scratched. A lot of it is hazy. I remember my Titans were actually feared and I remember living next door to some hick who sucked at playing guitar. And I think 10 bucks could still buy you a six pack and a box of Camel Lights. Anyway, whaddy'all remember?
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was a year and a half into my first job in newspapers, and the county school had just won its second consecutive state football title on its way to its first five in a row (it now has seven total). The city school won its eighth state title of 10.

I was there for five years. County school won five titles, city school won three. So eight out of 10 possible state titles in the time I was there. Not bad for my first gig to cover such good teams.
  3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I was a mom and an ink-stained wretch who was in full Grinch mode because Christmas was rapidly speeding near and nothing was ready.

Funny how things stay the same. *heavy sigh*
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're the least Grinchy person I know! You just try to act like one on the outside. ;)
  5. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

I was in Columbus, Indiana, one year into my marriage. Mrs. Bubbler and I didn't have kids yet, we were renting a house that was pretty nice, and I was reasonably happy at my job at that time, but hated the town. Soon, I wouldn't be too happy with the job either.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Working as a shift manager at a Hardee's, dating an incredibly skanky girl (who was also slumming in the relationship by dating a nerd), getting ready to re-enroll in college
  7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You are simply way too kind, IJAG.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I was in my third year at my current job. The two black cats were still alive, Harry the dog was just a puppy and the kids were still in grammar school. We were finishing up our first year in Westchester after moving down from New Haven and preparing for our first holiday open house, which has grown into a family tradition. We're expecting 40-50 people for this year's bash on Sunday.
  9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was a sophomore in high school. Had no idea what in the hell I was doing in my life. I was on the swim team, even though I never swam competitively before and was a rock in the water. I had shitty grades and I wasn't writing for the school newspaper yet. I didn't do anything worthwhile at all.

I was really a waste of life. Glad I turned things around when I was junior and got my life together.
  10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

Making a helluva lot more money and not worrying if I'd have a job next week.
  11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was covering a major Division I football/basketball program and traveling about 90 days a year.

It was awesome, but I don't miss it.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was a month into my first job at a major metro -- and 3,000 miles away from friends/family/comfort zone. But I met one of my closest friends there, and with all the stuff that was going on in my life at the time, moving there was the best decision I ever made, personally and professionally, though it took me a few days to finally make it.
Draft saved Draft deleted