1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What we didn't hear about due to the Russert coverage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 14, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No offense to the nets for their coverage of a fallen colleague, but even Russert would have said holy crap about this:
    (CNN) -- Afghan security forces on Saturday worked to hunt down the nearly 400 Taliban militants who escaped from a Kandahar prison in what police called a daring and well-executed jailbreak the day before.

Damaged vehicles lie at the entrance of the prison that was attacked in Afghanistan's Kandahar province.

Police sources say the strike freed suicide bombers and cell leaders who had been captured over the past six years. They say it resembles two other attacks earlier this year that could have involved al Qaeda.

"It was a planned attack the same as they destroyed the twin towers in America," said Abdul Wali Karzai, the head of Kandahar's provincial council. "It was a planned attack that succeeded.

"We know the militants had phone contacts with some of the prisoners inside the prison for several days before the attack," said Karzai, the brother of Afghan President Hamid Karzai. Video Watch how the prison break went down »

Afghan security forces say searching will be tough in some areas and impossible in others. The Taliban are entrenched there and the region is replete with militants' hideouts.

The militants may have gone to two regions of Kandahar province that has a large Taliban presence, Maiwand and Zherai districts.

2. You want to make sure we hear about bad news?
    Why do you hate America?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Actually, I did hear about that.

4. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Fox spent most of Studio B on this breaking story - which was just crossing the wire as a 2nd write thru during the second segment of the show, before the Russert story dropped.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Meanwhile, Iraq is a paradise, isn't it?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/13/AR2008061302019.html

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had no idea the space shuttle landed today.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ironic thing about your post is that my kids were watching Punky Brewster DVD reruns today, and one of the episodes was the one that discussed the Challenger explosion.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My question to you is where can I send CPS to help your kids? Punky Brewster reruns?!?

:D

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hell, I had no idea it had even launched.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, Brian Williams was on-site reporting on this when Russert died. He offered his memories and tributes via a live stand-up with airplanes flying back and forth overhead.

Draft saved Draft deleted