1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was your second-choice school?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I honestly didn't have a second choice.

I was a complete idiot when I was 17 (don't say it!). I applied to only four schools and pretty much did one of those applications in crayon. There was only one school I wanted to go to, one of the Ivy League schools, and I was incredibly stubborn. I refused to think about any place else. My older sister had gone there and I loved the place. There was no other school for me, as far as I was concerned.

The problem was that I was no lock to be accepted. In fact, no one thought I was going to get in. I was a complete goofball in high school. I underachieved, got into trouble over ridiculous things and frustrated the hell out of my teachers. It was offset some by good SAT scores.

My mom and my sister forced me to also apply to two state universities and a local university--I met its criteria for a scholarship. There was also a local Division III school that talked to me about playing basketball, but I never applied. If left to my own devices, I wouldn't have given myself a backup plan. I was arrogant and stupid.

In hindsight, my guess is that with my grades and class ranking, I probably had a 25 percent or less chance of getting into the school I wanted and I pretty much hit the lottery when I was accepted.

The interesting thing about it is that as I have gotten older, I have become anal as all hell. I'm the opposite of how I was when I was in high school. If I was applying now, I'd apply to 40 schools--and worry about it--to make sure I was covered.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

The school I went to was my second choice. I wanted to go into journalism at Kings College or public relations at Mount St. Vincent in Halifax. But, since I was starting university at only 17, my parents wouldn't let me and made me live at home and go to St. FX.
    Sigh ... when I was a senior at 19 (the legal drinking age in most parts of Canada), I still at a curfew ... of midnight.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I would have gone to (UNC) Charlotte (like many schools in the UNC system, they're dumping the initial initials). And who knows ... the year I graduated was the year the Carolina Panthers were officially playing. Not organizing, but playing.

I was accepted by both UNCC and the school I went to. Also was looking at Wake Forest, until their financial aid form wanted to know went waaaay over the top. I can understand their wanting to avert financial fraud, but that was ridiculous.

I think I would have liked Charlotte, but unlike where I went, I liked being in a marching band and with no football program, UNCC didn't have one. That wasn't the primary reason for choosing the other school, but it didn't help Charlotte's cause.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Like any Boston University College of Communication alum, Syracuse was my second choice. Rhode Island was my safety.

5. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

A mutual friend says you went to the Harvard of the South. Though, he said it the other way. Harvard is the XXX of the North. I laugh.

My backup was Florida, then Maryland. Got into my first choice, so it didn't matter.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rhodes College and SMU were my co-second choices.

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Kid you not: I was going to go to Youngstown State to be the next Bob Kennedy, until my folks said I wasn't allowed to stay at home.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Since I thought it was ridiculous to spend $25 or $30 on an application to a place you don't have a lot of interest in, I narrowed it down to the ones with free applications and no essay (and who attended our high school's college fair). The esteemed list included...

1) Tusculum College, a small D-II school in Tennessee. Got accepted, still have the T-shirt they sent me.

2) Johnson and Wales, a business college in Rhode Island. They gave me a scholarship, but it was still way too much and not really what I wanted to do.

3) I shit you not, the DeVry Institute. I went to one of the campuses to check out the "communications" program and found out it was much more the technical side of things. They showed us some of those wavy frequency scope things that were supposed to look cool.
    I took an entrance exam while I was there, too. It was 25 math questions a brain-dead, retarded fourth-grader could have figured out. Since I suck at dividing fractions, though, I got a 92. Apparently, it was the highest of the 40 or so kids taking the exam that day. The next week I saw a kid in my homeroom who took the test at the same time. He remarked how hard it was and that he had only gotten a 68 or something. I felt bad for him while I tried to hide the laughter.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

In retrospect, it didn't matter because your folks still decided you were too close and moved.

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Yeah, when you put it that way, I get the feeling they wanted to get the hell away from me.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My second choice was Rutgers, only because some alumni group from the state where I went to high school sent me an application for an academic-based full ride. I didn't get the scholarship, so there went Rutgers.

Oh, and I applied to Harvard because my father got it in his head that I had a shot. I didn't.

12. peixeiro

peixeiro Guest

I really wanted to go to South Florida (which is where my dad graduated), but financially it didn't work.

My parents have saved a good amount of money for me to go to college, and if I had gone to USF that money would have paid for one year.
    I decided to go to the local university since I knew that money would pay for as long as I went there.

Draft saved Draft deleted