1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was your "Must have" toy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 7, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Here's Yawn's:

[​IMG]

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

That picture brings back memories. I had a bike just like it.
    I had just turned 12 (I think) and received a red 10 speed for my birthday. I had asked for one since most of my friends, who were older, had 10 speeds. Days after I got it, an old friend of mine moved back from California and rode to my house on a chrome GT 24-inch cruiser bike. He started racing BMX while in Cali. He brought with him issues of BMX Plus and opened up a new world for me.
    Couple of days after that, I convinced my mom to let me take the 10 speed back (because the chain kept sleeping off, which was the truth) and I got a Stu Thomsen bike instead. My 4-year BMX racing career started two or three weeks later. I bet my mom cursed herself for ever taking the 10 speed back since, for the next 4 years, she was driving me to nearly every Super National or Grand National event in the tri-state region.
    Huffys weren't really known for their quality, but the Thomsen bike was top-of-the-line as far as department store bikes were concerned. I loved that thing. I rode it hard for a year until I cracked the weld near the seatpost clamp. Track officials wouldn't let me race her anymore. *Sniff* I had some money saved up and bought a chrome GT Mach One frame and fork for twice what I paid for the Huffy a year before.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

If it was Yawn's, she'd be wearing a Che Guevara disguise.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Also, I should have included...
    [​IMG]

5. I seem to recall all the cool kids of the day having Diamondback bikes, which ran at least $100-$120 bucks. That was in my neck of the woods.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

First toy I remember getting. Remember unwrapping it so vividly and how excited I was. I played with it until it disintegrated. It didn't matter that I had any other toys, because that was the only toy that mattered. I made makeshift ramps and it had it jump over everything I could find. Looking back, it cracks me up how low-tech the thing really was and how entertained I was by it!

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Lincoln Logs.

[​IMG]

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd attach the metal legs and eventually, the shaking of the game would cause the legs to chew through the sides of the game

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

[​IMG]
    [/spnited]

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

[​IMG]
    [/spnited]

Draft saved Draft deleted