1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was your most recent chiding?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stupid, Jul 3, 2006.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

That's not a chiding. When you nearly get into a fist fight with a coach in the office, that's a chiding.

2. House

House Guest

Technically, the whole section that day was full of stories and photos. Maybe one roundup from stuff we couldn't get to because of distance.

We didn't have an editor at that time. Budget reasons. By this point, we knew management couldn't give two shits and weren't afraid to let us know.

We cover a JC and preps because that's all we have within about 150 miles in any direction. One guy could sit there every day and slot all that national stuff and pass on some of our local just to make room, and that puts the other two of us out of work. Like I said, justifying my paycheck in a time of layoffs and frozen positions ... like sports editor.

And before anyone says it, I know, I know ... find another job. Working on it.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

my wife chided me today abput not taking care of something i'd said i would take care of.

not an irregular occurance at my house.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

My chiding came today, because chiding does not take a holiday.

Regional sprint-car series comes to town, plays to a capacity crowd at the local race track.

Track adds two support classes to fill the schedule. Modified feature has seven cars. I write one paragraph about that race, focusing, of course, on the sprint-car feature.

Today I come in to a voicemail from woman bitching that I did not write more on the modified feature, "because that's the most popular class out there." Uh-huh, the capacity crowd was there to watch seven cars, two of which were so bad they couldn't finish the 10-lap feature.

5. donaugust

donaugust Member

What I hate is when one, isolated incident ends up in my annual review. And the one that came in the most recent year was something that management had never bothered to tell me about in person. :-\

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You obviously haven't read the Star-Ledger during the school year.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

For smaller papers this is just not possible. Hell, we had a page TAKEN AWAY from us for tomorrow because the people who make the dummies forgot about the business page. We were excited to have 6 pages tomorrow, now we are down to 5. Today we had 4 with one being the agate page.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

We had four today and that was plenty. Not a whole lot in the world of sport going on.
    If you can't fit in everything with 5, 6 pages it's time to stop and think about how you are doing things.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Paging Sauronseye

10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

If you take enough shots at well-known sports writers, they will get in touch with you.

Whether or not your shots are warranted is another story. I've got one i'll save for down the road ...

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Our most recent chiding came from the parent who wondered why we did not cover the ASA 10-under regional championship game here. "THIS WAS TO GO TO THE NATIONAL TOURNAMENT," he yelled.

I explained to the guy that six of the seven teams at the regional qualified for the national tournament, that these teams also will have to pay $350 to enter the national tournament, and that it wasn't a big accomplishment to warrant using up our time and resources, since it was a busy week. Then I asked the guy if he would have still be upset had the local team lost, and we weren't there. He didn't have an answer.

12. DavidPalmer4Prez

DavidPalmer4Prez New Member

You really haven't lived until you have had a message board thread on a college fan site dedicated to defaming your name..... Not gonna lie. it's kinda fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted