1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was your mnemonic?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Working at home, had Scrubs on the tv, and one character sang his mnemonic to help him get through a test. Got me wondering: What was everyones?

The one that stands out in my mind was the one I used during high school biology to remember the anatomy of a grasshopper. It was to the tune of the Mike and the Mechanics song "All I Need Is a Miracle" — it's how I remembered that spiracles were used in respiration.

"All I need is a spiracle, all I need is air."

Yep, I'm that geeky.

Okay. Next?

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Full on, brother. Full on.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Mine was with numbers.

If I needed to remember a locker combination, a date on a test, whatever, because I was such a huge baseball fanatic growing up, every number became a uniform number or set of uniforms.

For instance, the War of 1812, to me, would become the War of Damon-Baker (Johnny Damon and Dusty Baker).

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Did someone say my name?

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, "righty tighty, lefty loosey" has served me well through the years ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Not really mnemonic, but we had to recite the preamble to the Constitution in junior high. To a person, everybody basically sang the Schoolhouse Rock song, although there's at least one point in there where you have to substitute more words. The real absurdity was watching people substitue those phrases, then going back and mentally re-singing the song to get back to the point where they could sing the rest of it.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've never been able to put things in alphabetical order without singing the alphabet song.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

You guys helped me out when I was learning my station codes with some ideas.

My favorite and I use to this day?

Portly Heifers Flee for PHF, Newport News, VA.

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

This was my fave:

[​IMG]

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My high school physics teacher wrote a song about slopes to the tune of "America the Beautiful." I can't remember my cell phone number, but I can remember that song after 18 years.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Every time I go to the parts store to replace my headlight bulbs, I remember that my high beams are model number 9005 and the low beams are 9006. Therefore, "High Five."

Draft saved Draft deleted