1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was your biggest goof, typo, etc.?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone on Twitter probably got it wrong and that's what happens. #Titanic

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Well done

3. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Used to write "Asjkdfhjkshfklsdfg" or something like that to file headline space in college. A1 main story was about a Marquette University student in the Marines who died overseas. Someone forgot to write a headline and it went through entire proofing process. Six people looked at the proof, so the EIC went ballistic the next morning at 9 a.m.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's hard to top that, being an A1 main hed that whiffed six batters. Was everyone stoned?

5. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

My biggest boner (you like that?) came this summer during the Olympics.

Morgan Uceny -- who was a medal contender in the 1,500 before tripping during the final -- is from our coverage area. So we were running front-page stuff on her after every race she had.

So, after editing our Uceny story late on a Saturday night, I did spellcheck and noticed I'd accidentally replaced Uceny in the headline with Acne. Or, at least that's what I thought.

I looked at the proof and saw Uceny in the headline and on the mugshot and didn't give it a second thought.

Turns out I had hit "Replace All" instead of just "Replace." So she was referred to as Acne throughout the entire story.

Thankfully, I was off for a few days and didn't see my boss until later in the week. By that time, he'd pretty much cooled off.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed. May have been stoned or just not have given a crap.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Feel your pain. Something I could have easily done, myself.

8. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Mine was from my college paper. Covered a baseball story, and mentioned a player who reached after getting "hit by a bitch."

Fortunately, that caught by our editor-in-chief during proofing.

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The final player on the all-area girls basketball team was actually a boy. He had an ambiguous last name and I guess the editor typing it misheard. We never heard anything about it, but before next basketball season I was trying to remember the final player (we'd had a short and pointless debate about which of two girls should go there). I got my answer.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm watching ESPN Classic's airing of the 1992 NLSC Game 7 and was reminded of an earlier post, by Riptide I believe. It has been confirmed - Otis Nixon looks nothing like Richard. ;D

Reminds me of a true story. Some dip was trying to convince me he was a former Secret Service agent and sometimes acted as President Clinton's decoy.
    Dumbass was around 6-6, 300. And black.

11. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

The Boulder paper sometime in the 1990s sent a writer to Australia to cover a Broncos preseason game. The writer sent in a story and the sports editor hit search and replace on spell check and every proper noun in the story was changed. No one noticed and it made every edition. Biggest trainwreck I've ever seen. They passed out copies of it at APSE that year.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Changed to what? I'm assuming that would make the story funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted