1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the worst year for popular music?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by As The Crow Flies, Jun 20, 2014.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Compared to the 8-9 years that followed it, 1973 pretty much rocked. ;)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

To clarify, my 1997 songs were the opposite ends of two extremes. The first craptastic, the second awesomeness.

3. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

While it was two years before my birth, 1973 seems incredibly solid. Houses of the Holy, Dark Side of the Moon, Lynyrd Skynyrd's debut album, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder ... Love Train came out that year. Surely to God somebody's trolling with that comment.

Hell, No. 100 that year was Papa was a Rolling Stone. Put that one up against No. 100 from other years and see what you get.

Some of this stuff will stand up forever. Any year that produced my first two examples cannot be in this discussion.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Grantland analyzes data on classic rock radio.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-classic-rock-isnt-what-it-used-to-be/

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

If I was going to pick a year that was the worst for popular music, it would have to be a year that featured a lot of songs that haven't aged well, or a year in which a lot of artists simply lacked staying power.

On one hand, the No. 1 song in 1973 was Tie A Yellow Ribbon, and I don't think anyone who has commented on 1973 in this thread, would put that song on a pedestal.

On the other hand, there was plenty to like about what made the top 100 that year. Stevie Wonder had multiple big hits, ditto for Elton John. Gladys Knight and the Pips had some good material. Jim Croce did had the second most-popular single that year, and while it may not have been his best, who knows how many people may have discovered some of his better songs (or maybe I just like Jim Croce a lot, YMMV).

I'd nominate 1997. I actually liked some of Mariah Carey's material, but "One Sweet Day" was awful and that was the No. 2 single of the year for some reason. It was also the year when Whitney Houston definitely jumped the shark (seriously, "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)"?). It also gave us one of the most pointless songs of all time, "Breakfast at Tiffany's." Oh, and for some reason, Kris Kross was still around.

I'll let everyone decide whether a certain dance craze that took over the United States that year was a good thing or not.

(For the record, there is plenty of 1997 material that I liked, but what was most popular certainly wasn't what I would call "the classics.")

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's pretty interesting.

It bugs me that Motley Crue is considered classic rock, but it gets played on the Alice Cooper syndicated show a lot, along with Ratt and a bunch of other schlock.
    I was a kid when that stuff was at it's most popular, and I hated it then, too.

It doesn't surprise me that U2 or Nirvana are considered classic rock now.
    I can even understand including Pearl Jam, although that's another band for whom I have no use.

It kind of bugs me that Bryan Adams is anything more than a classic rock novelty, like Herman's Hermits or the Lemon Pipers.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That Cincinnati plays Bryan Adams more than anyone goes a long way toward explaining its love that of that crap they call chili.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Accountability: This piece is from 538, not Grantland.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You are correct. My bad. Sorry.

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

The 1990s. Yeah, I know you said 'year.' It's a tie.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'd vote for any year between 1988-90. Horrid.

I'll also say this as an increasingly grizzled old fart ... I think pop music (to which I'm primarily exposed via my kids) is not bad at all right now. Its been a lot worse.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Saw Bryan Adams in concert last year on his Bare Bones tour. He was great. It was amazing, too, to realize how many hits or at least recognizable songs he's had in his career. In his two-hour set there might have been two songs I didn't know, and I'm not exactly a hardcore Bryan Adams fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted