1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the worst year for popular music?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by As The Crow Flies, Jun 20, 2014.

1. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

In honor of the Frampton thread and the merits of music in 1976, what would you say is the worst year for popular music? I'll go with 1988. Rick Astley, Hungry Eyes, etc., etc.

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=1988

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Any year after 1999. Pop music has sucked for a while now.
    It's the independent and out of the mainstream rock and Americana/alt-country artists that are putting out the best music nowadays.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

1988 also gave us New Kids on the Block, Richard Marx and Bon Jovi's "New Jersey,", but it was hardly the worst.

That year was not half bad as far as new artists. I submit Guns 'n' Roses, which was an awesome antidote to the hair metal that ruled at the time.

4. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

well, in 1982 "Asia" by Asia was the top-selling album. that's pretty bad.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Did a sporcle quiz - 1989 deserves a mention. The Billboard top 10 includes Poison (every rose...), Chicago (Look Away), Paula Abdul (twice), Milli Vanilli (enough said) and Will To Power (Baby I love your way/Free Bird medley)....I'm sure it gets worse from there.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I agree with '82.
    It was just close enough in time to some terrible pop acts of the late 70s.
    I mean K.C. and The Sunshine Band was still performing big at that time for fk's sake.
    Just a weird time overall, like prepubescence.
    It wasn't quite vintage '80s and wasn't quite '70s. Not a porthole into either.
    It unleashed Madonna, The Fat Boys and A-Ha.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

1999 was when I graduated high school and started college, so it would have been nice to have a great soundtrack to such an important year in my life, instead we got boy bands and pop princesses jammed down our throats, not to mention a lot of the horrible rap-rock. Limp Bizkit doesn't exactly hold up.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think 1999 might be our winner, just on the strength/stench of that horrible song by robo-Cher.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Another late '90s high schooler here. The music of our time plain sucked. No other way to put it.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The answer to the question is always "this year," because music was always better "back in my day."

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Fellow 1999 grad, and I agree. So many frosted tips and giant jeans. I know that's fashion, but you can extrapolate it.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Amazing the number of 1981 babies on this board. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had to be huge with y'all.

Draft saved Draft deleted