1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was the best day of your life?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Feb 2, 2010.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

The day I quit my job of 10 years. Very few people had a clue I'd spent over a year in the process of applying for Peace Corps. Two weeks before my last day -- on a Monday because they had been so evil to me I didn't want to give them the extra weekend to think about replacing me -- I came in at my usual time, which was earlier than the boss.

My leaving was so from left field that when I gave the supervisor (a guy I liked) a heads-up I was giving my notice, he replied, "Notice of what?"

As soon as the boss comes in and breezes by me -- he never said hi -- and parked himself in his office, I went in and told him I was leaving the next Friday.

Oh, the joy of seeing that flicker of panic behind his eyes. It was worth the price of admission, but not the suffering I'd endured until that time.

He tried to compose himself by asking where I'd be going, and I just said "Guess." His response was to the name of a local metro, and I almost burst out laughing.

When I said, "No, I'm going to Morocco with the Peace Corps" I saw the confusion again. It was utterly fantastic.

No regrets. It really was the best day, at least of my career thus far.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

this thread is an excellent rorshach (spelling?) test, of sorts. interesting to see how many folks' "best days" are career-related or relationships-related.

no judgements. just interesting. 8)

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

That is so cool.

I have a skin disease, erythroprotoporphyria (I may or may not have spelled that right) It means, in essence, I am allergic to the sun. It's genetic

My greatest day was August 20th 1989. When I found out my newborn daughter didn't have it.

I cried. I knew that if anyone could handle it, my wife and I could, because I had it. I was thrilled to find out she didn't.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I was 10 years old, and I got to spend a Sunday afternoon as the Indians' honorary ballboy after I won a contest.

Yeah, the team stunk in the early 90s, and Municipal Stadium was a dump, but to be a 10 year old walking around a major league field and sitting in the dugout before the game was awesome.

I sat next to Albert Belle as he got interviewed during BP, and got a picture taken with Charles Nagy (sidebar: My family was on a trip to see the Indians at Wrigley in 1998. My mom saw Nagy at Niketown that day, and she thanked him for taking the picture with me when I was little. He laughed and said he remembered doing it.)

As for the game, the Indians lost, but I got to watch from the bullpen area, and I got my name on the scoreboard and over the PA between innings. I still have the Louisville Slugger with my name emblazoned on it.

Jose Mesa was the pitcher that day, and I was amazed watching him warm up. Had I known the pain he'd cause a few years later, maybe I would've struck him with the Louisville Slugger....

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Yeah, I suppose I could have put in the day I met my wife or proposed or something like that, and it wouldn't have violated the letter of the "no wedding days" rule, but I think the spirit of the rule was to eliminate such obvious personal life event stuff.

Beyond that, it is interesting to see who picks career stuff and who picks other personal interest stuff.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember years ago I started a thread about which person other than spouse or significant other you'd most want to have sex with. Some people, not getting the concept, treated the thread as if it were the fart stories thread.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jan. 8, 2004.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

April 4? 2005. Woke up in St. Louis for the Final Four. Used my fake ID for the first time to buy a bunch of 40s to tailgate with. We parked next to some huge RV that was apparently owned by Rolly Mossimino. About 10 friends and I, all underage, drank with him for about an hour before he invited us as his special guests to a private party put on by Stub Hub.

Gourmet foods and no beer cheaper than Sam Adams was served to us from about 11 a.m. to 3. Top shelf liquor delivered by the bottle by the hottest servers.

Afterward went to directly to the game and drunkenly bumped into Gene Keady and Lorenzo Momar? sp?

Kept calling him Omar Lorenzen, but ended up getting my picture taken with both of them in front of a sign that said "pass out line."

Sobered up enough to have my Uncle sneak me into the Pontiac High Performance Suite where he was working. Left after my school lost. I really didn't care, I had no rooting interest because I'm not a Spartan fan. Just wanted to go for the game. Ended up selling my ticket for the finals for $600. My friends did as well. For years I regretted selling that ticket. But I got to go to the championship game last year when it was in Detroit so it all worked out. Anyway...

On the way back to the car, I ran into Lute Olsen and who was likely his mistress. He ignored us, but the lady made him pose for a photo. He was pissed at me because I was wearing an Illinois tee shirt. His Wildcats had lost to the Illini the week before. I still have the photo. It's hilarious.

After that we went and spent our winnings on about $300 of Waffle House. While leaving the Waffle House and heading back through downtown St. Louis, I almost hit Johnny Spirit (unofficial MSU mascot) with my car.

That day only compares to one other day, which was more random than anything. About 6 months earlier I was visiting my best friend from high school in Knoxville where he went to school. We went to a house party and I got pretty liquored up and started giving some guy a hard time because he was wearing a Germaine Crowell Detroit Lions jersey.

I asked the big hulking dude why he would ever wear that shirt. He said because he was from Detroit. Then he showed me his Big Ten championship ring from the year before. I looked to his right and saw a guy in an arm sling. It was Michigan quarterback Matt Guitterez still recovering from shoulder surgery. Next to him was Braylon Edwards. It was unreal. All because I heckled Brandon Hood for wearing a Crowell jersey. I'm lucky they didn't kick my ass.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

agreed. that was an AWESOME day. ::) ::) ::)

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I guess if you exclude births and weddings;

Junior year in college, I had been an engineering major and parents, who were supporting me, think that's a fine major for an Asian boy. I decide, nah, screw Silicon Valley, I'm going to law school. Well parents are none too happy and say "well who's going to pay for that?" My response "I'll do it myself."

Ultimately, parents help with rent but still undercurrent that I've disappointed them.

So, day I graduate from law school, at the graduation dinner, my dad turns to me and says "your mom and I are proud of you." Felt like a huge burden was lifted off my shoulders. So that's the best day, other than day I got married and the births of my boys.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Tomorrow.

The next day.

Or the day after that.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It wasn't the best day of my life, but once I ripped a fart so big my hip popped.

Draft saved Draft deleted