1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What? Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Killick, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Derp.

Twenty-four year old HuffPo blogger used his press credential to help construction workers get into an event where they staged a 10-minute protest, then whines when the site cuts him loose.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thecutline/20110124/bs_yblog_thecutline/huffpo-fires-an-unpaid-blogger-for-participating-in-labor-demonstration

Uh-huh. Riiiiight.

"Hey, yeah. I'd like to get a credential. Will I be covering the event? No, but I'd like to bring 200 of my friends along with me. That's okay? Cool!"

I'm sure that's exactly the conversation they had.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There are rules for bloggers?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Usually a reporter will lie about being in another line of work to sneak into places.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

That's also very unethical.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a Boston Globe reporter I had for a college news writing and reporting class. During anti-Vietnam protests at Harvard, when he and his Herald Traveler colleague got bored, they'd flip football players a fin to bust some heads just so they'd have a story.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

This quote makes me want to punch this asshole in the head.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The gist of his case is that the Man is keeping him down. Sorry, but you can't say you exposed evil when all you did what facilitate a protest. Not really breaking any news there.

This might help Elk land a job, though, as he was unpaid by HuffPo.

Draft saved Draft deleted