1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was that number?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, May 7, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm getting really tired of that lie being spread around every time.

You're journalists. Fact check. Just once.

The unemployment rate peaked at 7.18 percent during Carter's term.

It was higher than that for the first five years of Reagan's term.

And it was higher than that when Bush41's term ended.

You can look it up. And you probably should have before you posted.

http://www.miseryindex.us/URbyyear.asp?StartYear=1948&EndYear=2006

2. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

The highest unemployment rates during the past 37 years came in late 1982 and early 1983.
    Carter's "misery index" woes were caused by high inflation.
    Clinton and GWB have lowered the index to levels not seen since the LBJ years.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I recall posting a very lengthy list....one I have no time to go back and recant. Be a good journalist, research that thread.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i have no idea what was just written. but i bet it was fairly ignorant.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm sure it was, Tom. Yawn is gone in my world as well. And we forgot to throw him a going away party. What a pity.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

did you hear that cricket heineken? peaceful, really.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know if I find it. Too bad you don't have time to "go back and recant" though.

8. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Exactly my point. I was lucky to live in an area that has two high schools designated as "traditional," and they are much more difficult and advanced than the other public schools. And I wouldn't trade my public education for any private one, at least not in this state. So I was around people who were mostly like me--we were above average for our age. But other than a few schools here, the public schools are horrendous.

It just disgusts me that in this country, supposedly the greatest on Earth (and I wouldn't live anywhere else), you can't send your child to a decent public school in most areas. I don't want to pay $10k/yr to send my child to a Catholic school, but if he/she doesn't get in to one of the few decent public schools, that's what I'm going to have to do.

That, to me, is sad.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you teach a child at home and challenge them mentally on a daily basis (i.e. do things with them and not plop them in front of the tv) they well receive a better education than any institution can give them.

Reading to your kids 15 minutes every day when they are growing up is the best advice you will ever receive.

Catholic School kids have problems coping in the everyday world, and you will have crappy private school teachers just like you have crappy public school teachers.

Anyone who thinks private school kids are so high and mighty needs to watch their teams play high school sports. Some of the dirtiest (like the Spurs) teams have been Catholic school kids.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'm not pimping Catholic schools. I have a great education thanks to a public high school and I'm at a public university.

But, at least where I am, if faced with the dilemma of public vs. private, and my child couldn't get into the two or three public schools that are worth a damn, he/she would be in a private school.

But I don't think a private education is worth the money unless it's the only alternative.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted