1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was that number?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, May 7, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course. As long as people still listen to Karl Rove and Rush Limbaugh...
  3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Probably not, but it's hard to say during someone's administration. Most Presidents have approval ratings below 50% after this long, not as low as this, but we won't know for 5-10 years how the current president will be viewed.

Remember for all the good he did for the country, Tony Blair's approval rating isn't very good right now either, but in the future he will, I think, be viewed well in comparison to 20th century Prime Ministers.
  4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What's that Harry Doyle line?

"If you've been paying attention, and, judging by the attendance, you haven't..."
  5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Another albatross. He and Cheney are the Democrats' best friends — for 2008.

Is Cheney still in the teens, or has he sunk below that yet?

I remember right after Katrina when Bush's approval rating among African Americans was two — count em, T-W-O — percent. I remarked that this was within the margin of error of him having a NEGATIVE approval rating — and mlb2005 believed it.
  6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, but it's a high 28 percent...
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Next up for W: Nixon's low of 23 percent.
  9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, at least I will make the case that history has the potential to judge him more fondly.

It certainly happened to Truman, for example. And, to a certain extent, to Eisenhower.

Only in the last few years have we gotten a full-blooded look at Teddy Roosevelt's presidency.

Presidents of recent memory openly reviled, hounded and hated by the press – and I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they're both Republicans – Nixon and Reagan, have undergone critical reassessment. History, which isn't written by reporters for the New York Times, doesn't seem to be treating JFK and LBJ quite as kindly.

Zeke, you and I will be dead – hopefully not at the hands of terrorists – before any modern president's tenure will be properly assessed. It certainly won't be a matter of sifting through ancient polling data.

I suspect at the end of days, both the Clinton and Bush II tenures will be judged as unsuccessful, mainly due to missed opportunities. But it's the nature of which opportunities were missed that are impossible to know today.

One hundred years from now, the failure to properly address Islamic extremism in 1995-2000 may or may not seem significant. The failure during that same period of time to tackle Social Security reform may seem an enormous gaffe.

The events that followed 9/11 may ultimately be viewed as a mistake. And, in the larger context of history, they may not.

A hundred years from now, it may be the failure to address the Morgellons crisis than looms as Bush's biggest mistake. Our grandchildren may wonder why we didn't stop the Olsen Twins before it was too late. Didn't anybody see what was coming? It was just like Hitler in 1936! The fools!

It is said that winners write the history. Tell me what history 100 years from now says about George W., and I'll hazard a guess about which side won.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think selling the war for W helped Blair's numbers any.
  11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Obviously. You'd have to be high to still approve of that colossal fuck-up.
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Who gives a fuck about numbers?
Draft saved Draft deleted