1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was on your front page for July 10, 2012?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Jul 10, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It's one of the most story-less days of the year, what did you put on the front for Tuesday's paper?

We centerpieced the local minor league team with a mid-season report with lots of art and and info box.
    We also had the AP All-Star preview about Harper and Trout with a sidebar feature on a kid that was shagging balls in the outfield during the Derby. We also ran our outdoor columnist on the front for a 4th story.

How did you "fill space?"

2. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

Death of 20-year-old former prep football player from cancer (lead art)
    Softball regional final (lead headline)
    Home Run Derby (across the bottom)

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Our front had a Westbrook USA story and four All-Star stories.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Nobody ran a story about my 47th (!) birthday?

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Sounds like you did it right.

You plan ahead and you have a good, solid centerpiece, like it sounds that you do, and if possible you plan to cover a Monday night game with photos.

Pulling a local column out there is a good idea, too.

I was going to say one all-star game story at the most, the regular game preview. Maybe a small piece of art on the home run derby.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As a wise sports editor once told me:

It's easy to plan your section for the day after the Super Bowl. What makes your section good is what you do with it the day of the baseball All-Star Game.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Thankfully or not, there are three Little League district all-star tournaments in my coverage area. We covered games from two of them, plus a wild art championship photo and a column.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

World Team Tennis...Local state amateur golf day one stuff...Little League all-star gamer...and a POY takeout from a high school all-area team.

Thursday's will be more difficult than today's.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

We have a ATP World Tour tennis tournament in town that we blow out of the box. We also had a gamer from a local collegiate baseball league team and a feature on Harper and Trout.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My apologies Huggy. I will chastise the SE for this!

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Three-story front with one jump, our standard now: All-Star game led the page, with a local football recruiting story in the centerpiece and a third story about a youth golf tournament that was starting today.

About that golf tourney: A young Bubba Watson once won it, and even in those days it was called the "Pros of Tomorrow."

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. In all my years, I never ran an all-star game preview. I would run a first half of season review or second-half look ahead, but never anything on the game itself beyond a routine gamer. It's just a non-event. I treat it the same way I do the NBA/NHL all-star games or the Pro Bowl.

Tip of the cap to those who thought ahead and planned instead of just showing up at 3:30 and asking "what can we find to run today?"

Draft saved Draft deleted