1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Wall Streeters say when we aren't listening

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 20, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

... or when they don't think we are.

Reporter crashed the Kappa Beta Phi secret society party a couple of years ago while working on the book "Young Money." It involves enormously wealthy, enormously famous individuals, many of whom got bonuses from the bailouts.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/02/i-crashed-a-wall-street-secret-society.html

A sampling of what he heard:

The jokes ranged from unfunny and sexist (Q: “What’s the biggest difference between Hillary Clinton and a catfish?” A: “One has whiskers and stinks, and the other is a fish”) to unfunny and homophobic (Q: “What’s the biggest difference between Barney Frank and a Fenway Frank?” A: “Barney Frank comes in different-size buns”).

Warren Stephens, an investment banking CEO, took the stage in a Confederate flag hat and sang a song about the financial crisis, set to the tune of “Dixie.” (“In Wall Street land we’ll take our stand, said Morgan and Goldman. But first we better get some loans, so quick, get to the Fed, man.”)

But the extent of their worry wasn’t made clear until Ross offered himself up as a source for future stories in exchange for my cooperation.
    “I’ll pick up the phone anytime, get you any help you need,” he said.
    “Yeah, the people in this group could be very helpful,” Lebenthal chimed in. “If you could just keep their privacy in mind.”

But in their day jobs, they are totally decent and equality-minded. For sure.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I was expecting more.

Tebow's been called a lot worse on this board.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But why the hell would anyone ever think they were 'equality-minded'?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wonder what a similar event would look like if it was hosted by New York City political reporters?

http://innercircleshow.org/

5. LongTimeListener

I was talking more about "not openly racist and sexist in hiring."

That is what they claim.

But you are probably right, nobody believes that anyway.

6. LongTimeListener

I cannot find the Kappa Beta Phi video online for a side-by-side comparison. What is their website?

Draft saved Draft deleted