1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What types of parents are the worst to deal with???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by williemcgee51, Feb 18, 2009.

1. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

LMAO! Lock the thread. Best answer ever on SportsJournalists.com

2. micke77

micke77 Member

JBHawkeye...been there, dealt with that plenty of times...the dad or mom whose son/daughter has "progressed" up through the ranks and you have to cover everything about them, from when they have their initial fart to hitting for the cycle..
    i've had dads whose sons played in junior high and be entering high school the following year who would grin like a possum eating cabbage and say, "well, you'll be writing about my son the next four years."
    and my urge is to reply:" Oh, you mean he will be in the police arrest report the next four years?"

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In record time, too.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ones who have the sports department's phone number.

Or e-mail address.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My wife asks the same question...it is kind of strange. Think about the inane things parents say to us and try to relate them to any other part of the paper...it makes the parents seem so trivial. LOL

6. micke77

micke77 Member

i guess i'll start finding out about swimming parents. our city recently got a youth program and they're already invading the premises for coverage. i have heard from so many colleagues of mine that swimming parents may be the most overbearing and toughest to deal with. should i wear armor when conducting interviews, covering meets, etc.? :D

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Lacrosse parents are the new soccer parents. Major chip on their shoulder, and they can't understand why anybody wouldn't think their sport is the best thing EVAR.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

the worst parents are those who work at the paper, but not on the editorial side, and want you do a favor every time jimmy pulls garbage time.

9. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Or the ones who come complain to you for the results not in the paper. I just send them back downstairs and tell the coach to report the scores for once in her life.

I can't wait for the ME's son to be in high school in a few years.

Another pet peeve of mine is parents who spell a common name differently to be just that...different. And then complain to me when I spell it wrong b/c it's wrong on the OFFICIAL roster. I can't count how many times I've asked a coach this and after stomping his/her foot for a few minutes about how right he is, he asks the kid, who tells him he's wrong.

If they had spelled the damn kid's name correctly at birth, we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Been there, done that, went and found another job.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"If they had spelled the damn kid's name correctly at birth, we wouldn't be having this discussion now."

:'( It's such a beautiful sentence. I wish to have it on my gravestone.

That said, the worst parents are every parent who has ever made the argument that slightly less coverage than they wanted may now cost Jimmy or Janey a chance at a college scholarship.

12. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

They don't bother me as much, for some reason.

Probably because my mind checks out of the conversation immediately upon hearing that phrase.

Draft saved Draft deleted