1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What types of parents are the worst to deal with???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by williemcgee51, Feb 18, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

All parents suck except your own. The end.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hoo boy. You're lucky then. Some of the worst, dumb ass, testosterone-overdosed fuckheads I've ever had to deal with were wrestling dads.

They seem to think they're going to get a point by puking before they call to make weight and 2 points for every time they call you an asshole.

I get 15 points for hanging up on their asses. Technical fall, bitch!

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'm chiming in with swimming, especially when the swimming parent also happens to be a loudmouthed local politician.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Any parent who writes that and actually believes it.

It's been said before, but:
    I'm sure little Johnny and Suzie have about five seconds of glee when their parents interrupt them from having fun while playing games so that they can read something they already know.

I'm worried that "these kids" learn to love their own name in print. It's no big deal until 20 years down the line, when Uncle Johnny's berating some lonely agate clerk about not including Suzie's fifth child, Dexter, and his one assist in the Squirt sums -- because he loves to see his name in print.

As you can tell from my vitrol, this morning, hockey parents top my list.

5. That is what I wish I could do, but we have to put her son in. I was told "because she was right." No, she was not right; I just forgot to put in consecutive in the graph. I know she is a customer, but she cannot send me a completely rude e-mail and expect me to cater to her.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I were your editor, I'd say: "Readers can't read your mind. Her son did it three times. You forgot to write "consecutive." It's got to go in. And you've got to be more careful about what you report."

Doesn't excuse her being a rude bitch, but you're the one who forgot to write "consecutive."

7. micke77

micke77 Member

Oh gosh, do you have a month for me to finish this thread?
    Where can I start?
    All parents who think their son is the next Barry Sanders or daughter is the next Candace Parker and have no clue as to just how overrated said sons and daughters are are the worst that I've dealt with....More times than not, such overbearing parents have become mesmerized/carried away/etc. about the potential of their little tyke because said son/daufghter dominated a so-so league, compiled astronomical numbers and got enough mention in our paper's youth media reports to think they were All-World before acne set in.
    I had a father once who called after every game his son pitched, just to make sure we had the stats right. I say after every game. Actually, it was after only about three games because I told him he needed to deal with being a father/fan/agent and we will take care of the pub. he got the message.
    like I said, you got a month for me to finish this thread? ;)

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"So do I, ma'am. That's why I became a sports writer. My name's in the paper every day."

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm just going with the case at hand, I didn't specify three or three consecutive (although I think most people give more of a nod to consecutive vs. the same number spread out).

But going with the question, if the woman call up and nicely said, "You know ... Little Johnny ..." I'd be happy to make amends. If she called up bitching at me, I'm going to go out of my way to give her a back handed fuck you.

10. micke77

micke77 Member

ServeItUp...I am laughing my ass off at your reply. I love it. how many times have I had a mom or dad--usually moms--have that sweet and innocent voice at the other end of the line telling us "how heart-broken little Joey was when he didn't see his name in the paper today. how can i explain to my son that his name didn't get in there when all of the other boys had their names in there?"
    I really wanna say, "madam, you tell little Joey that shit happens and life isn't fair and, besides, today was the very day I chose not to put his fucking name in the paper."

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I was on my high school swim team. My name was in the newspaper more for being on the academic decathlon team than for being on the swim team. My parents never complained once. They didn't go to many swim meets either, but that's another issue altogether.
    As for the worst parents, cheerleader parents, hands down. If it doesn't have a score, it's not a sport.

12. micke77

micke77 Member

My mom, God rest her soul, never could understand parents who would call in to papers and complain about their sons or daughers not being mentioned or whatever. She just couldn't comprehend somebody taking the time to do that, that surely these folks had much more important things to do with their time.

Draft saved Draft deleted