1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What types of parents are the worst to deal with???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by williemcgee51, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I have never dealt with a more batshit crazy group of people than the soccer parents in Flagstaff, Ariz.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding!

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Parents of any kid who isn't playing varsity.

Several years ago, we had a guy bitching because we weren't covering his son's Little League team (of course, he had to throw out, "I know the publisher," to which I replied, "So do I. What's your point?). A year later, it's why aren't you covering Senior League. Then it's why aren't you covering the freshman baseball team, and then the sophomore baseball team. Now the kid is on varsity, and we never hear from Dad these days.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Tennis and golf parents are pretty bad.

5. This is the simplest route to take. But I don't understand why you would value three in a row over a three-time champion whose titles weren't consecutive. Seems a pretty small distinction.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another worst parent: The one who doesn't know how to read.

They claim their kid's game isn't in the paper. Then, when you point it out in the paper, they say they couldn't find it because the article is too short.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Worst parent is one with the last name Fuchs, whose kid's last name has been altered by one consonant in the paper.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The ones who had sex and produced a child.

I've had dipshits from every sport, every gender.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Swimming parents, but tennis is a close second.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Maybe one's going for his third consecutive title and it's a pertinent tidbit to the story.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

Gotta' go with swimming parents, too. They're god-awful. And their ferocity just adds to the already cramped, humid, balmy and excessively loud natatoriums in which their spawn of satan children compete.

We have a couple of schools around here (about 25 in our area) that are worse than the others. So, naturally those swim parents are painted red with horns bulging out of their foreheads.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Swimming, gymnastics, soccer, lacrosse. The JV parents are somewhere between swimming and soccer.

In two seasons at my paper, I've only dealt with one person who had a gripe with the wrestling coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted