1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What type of phone service do you have?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gomer, Sep 26, 2008.

?

Based on a post on the politics board, I'm curious: what kind of phone setup do you use?

1. Cellphone only

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. Landline only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cellphone and landline

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  4. No phone at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Falcon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Both, mainly because I still have to call home now and then.

We use AT&T's VOIP, and since we've got it set up, about three years ago, it's been excellent.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Ninety-nine percent of the time, I use my cell phone. I picked cell phone and landline for that 1 percent of the time when I use the landline. But I NEVER give out my home phone number nowadays.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My home number is the only one I give out anymore to non-friends. I turn my ringer off, and if I don't recognize the number, I don't pick it up. But the fewer people that can reach me on my cell, the happier I am.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Doesn't TIVO require a landline phone connection once a week to update its listings?

Or can you do that with a cable modem now?

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

By the way, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that nobody picked the bird.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'll be 47 years old Wednesday (wow, I could have gone years and years without typing that) and I just:

-- Bought my first cell phone.*
    -- Gave up my land line.
    -- Made a few SportsJournalists.com people who know me fall to the floor in shock.

My old land-line number is now my cell number.

* I've used cell phones for years, but they were always company-issued.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mine updates wirelessly through my internet connection.

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Cell phone only for me, cell phone only for my younger sister who just graduated college.

Both parents have a landline and a cell phone. My dad only keeps the landline because he has a home security system. He doesn't even know his home number. My mom still uses her landline because she lives in BFE Tennessee where cell reception is poor. The cell is used for work and when she travels.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I moved to a new apartment in late 2002, and, lacking furniture, I was sitting on the floor calling the power company, the cable company, etc., with my cell. I started to call the phone company, then realized I didn't need it. I haven't had a land line since.

The only time I miss it is when I can't find my cell phone and I want to be able to call it. And when those idiots call me offering to "extend the warranty" on my car, I actually have a case to present to the FCC.

Draft saved Draft deleted