1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What type of phone service do you have?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gomer, Sep 26, 2008.

?

Based on a post on the politics board, I'm curious: what kind of phone setup do you use?

1. Cellphone only

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. Landline only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cellphone and landline

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  4. No phone at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Falcon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I got a landline to go with my cell at my old job because I didn't want to go into the office to do teleconferences, and I wanted to be able to record them. Then I moved, and I got a landline here because it was cheaper to get the triple play through Comcast than just to get the cable and internet.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

So do you use your landline IJAG? Or is it just there 'cause it's basically free?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, I use it all the time. It allowed me to drop my cell phone plan to 450 from 900 (which I was still going over on) because I use my home line three days a week when I'm off (Tues-Thurs). Sat-Sun are free on my cell phone, so really, I'm only using cell phone minutes for the two hours I'm awake and not at work Monday and Friday. Awesome.

4. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Switched my landline to Vonage and I love it. Free long distance, lots of free features for about $30 a month. Obviously I have a cell too. I've just had the landline for so long that some people only have that number.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

7. I have both only because of the need to make international calls on the landline. I have AT&T Callvantage for the landline and it's relatively cheap. Get all the bells and whistles for 35 all in a month.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Both. And none of that Vonage bullshit, either. Here in hurricane country, Ma Bell's phones will still work after the storm rolls through (the phone line provides all the power a corded phone needs). Your broadband connection (which Vonage requires) is toast if the power's out. Cell service is dependent on 1) whether your cell provider''s towers are still standing and relatively undamaged after the storm and 2) whether said towers have power.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I only have a landline for the DSL, but I've disconnected all the landline phones except for the answering machine, on which I recorded a message with my cell number.

I got sick of all the telemarketers, charity solicitors and campaigners walking right through the no-call list.

10. If I didn't have to have the landline, I would do with just the cell. With most traditional landlines in my area, calling internationally costs an arm and a leg.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Have a traditional landline (not Vonage or Comcast) and a cell.
    Have the landline because although outside my house and everywhere else my cell reception is fine, in my house its a little flaky.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Landlines are, like, so yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted