1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What type of phone service do you have?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gomer, Sep 26, 2008.

?

Based on a post on the politics board, I'm curious: what kind of phone setup do you use?

1. Cellphone only

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. Landline only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cellphone and landline

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  4. No phone at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Falcon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Inspired by a post that suggested polling data was skewed against the under-30 set because only landlines are polled, I'm wondering what folks here use and why.

I've got both cell and landline, because the cell is work-issued and I don't want to use it for long distance. Besides, VOIP is way cheaper for long distance than any other option I've found. Since I sometimes do interviews from home it's also easier to set up with my digital recorder via a phone splitter.

BTW, let's consider using VOIP or Skype or something along those lines to count as a land line in this poll. The point being that you have a phone plugged in that doesn't leave your residence.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I use only my cell phone.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have a cell phone. There's no reason for me to get a landline because everyone that I call (with exception to my boss) lives at least 700 miles away, so I'd be paying out the butt for long distance. I have more than enough minutes and whatever on my cell phone, so I don't need a landline.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's fairly easy to get free long distance packages on a land line.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I haven't had a landline since 2005.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Huh? Wenders, are you saying long distance on your cell is free?

Far from it in Canada, which is why I have a landline. I'd be paying up the butt if I had to use a cell to call everyone.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I had to have one at my last place because my cell reception was flaky. That's one of the reasons why I moved.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Who, in America, doesn't get free long distance with their cell phone package?

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Bastards! I had a suspicion that might be the case.

Stupid question then, but what happens to the phone book - still a great resource if I need to find someone here - when everyone's on cells? Is there just a yellow pages and no white?

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

With cell phones many people have portable phone books with them so I've found it easier to find numbers. Just gotta know a friend of a friend. Maybe newspapers can start a cell phone directory and save the business. Yeah, the white pages are not as useful.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Helio celly and that's it.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Cell only. Dropped the land line about six months ago because I never used it.

Draft saved Draft deleted