1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what TV show dvds should I check out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ummm, because.....

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Arrested Development, possibly the funniest and most well-done show ever, IMO, when you consider casting, writing, set, shots, etc. You could watch each episode 15 times before you come close to catching all the jokes. Also, Rescue Me is the only show since AD went off the air that I watch religiously. Tommy Gavin's life is magnificently fucked up.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I got into Arrested Development late. I loved -- LOVED -- Job. When I start making movies, the guy who plays Job will be one of my leads. Anyway, there's one episode where the family ends up in Tijuana, and Job does this "Mexican Dance" or something like that, and it's one of the funniest 10 seconds of TV, ever. I laugh thinking about it.

4. Songbird

Norrin, you're right, that was the premise.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That's the beginning of the chicken dance which becomes one of the very funny running gags throughout the show. You should get the DVD's and watch it from the beginning. There's numerous jokes that you won't get unless you watch all the episodes. And yes, Job is fucking brilliant on that show, as is Tobias, and just about everyone else.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

South Park (I hope I am not the only one who watches this)
    The Simpsons (always great)
    Dexter (when it gets released)
    Law and Order (any one)
    Band of Brothers (if you have not seen it already)

I agree with 90 percent of the above shows as well.

Do not waste your time with any CSI other than Vegas.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

White Power Bill has dirty ears!!!!

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

received the "GET SMART" collection for my birthday. can't wait to see if it holds up. 8)

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hoops, you're stuck in the 90s. But I second the motion on Freaks and Geeks.

Also, My So-Called Life is out on DVD. If anyone needs Fourth of July gift ideas for me...

10. Songbird

IT's too bad Viacom is being arsehole'ish about not releasing Daria. Great show. I miss it dearly.

11. I picked up Weeds simply because Paul Feig directed some of the episodes. I enjoy the show and look forward to season 2's release.

Other shows worth checking out (in alphabetical order):

The Andy Griffith Show
    Arrested Development
    Batman--The Animated Series (the series from the early '90s)
    Battlestar Galactica (Sci-Fi channel series...though I dig the older series, too)
    Beany & Cecil
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Degrassi Jr. High
    Freaks & Geeks
    Gilmore Girls seasons 1-6
    Harvey Birdman
    Hill Street Blues
    Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp
    Lost
    The Office (both British and American versions)
    Penn & Teller: Bullshit!
    Powerpuff Girls
    The Prisoner
    Seinfeld
    The Simpsons
    The Soupy Sales Show
    South Park seasons 3-8
    30 Rock

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I know I'm repeating others, but you have to watch Arrested Development, Weeds and the Office. All are amazing shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted