1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what TV show dvds should I check out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, Oct 7, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A quick search of imdb shows it is him. He apparently only showed up in two episodes as Judah Botwin, so I'm not sure why he gets to make the DVD case in a picture, but it's definitely him.

Here's a graf in his bio from imdb:

"Today, with recurring parts on three high-profile television shows -- ABC's Grey's Anatomy, the WB's Supernatural, and Showtime's Weeds -- Jeffrey's career is back on track. Grey's Anatomy creator, Shonda Rhimes, recently signed him to play a lead role in an untitled upcoming show for ABC"

2. IJAG --
    About this new sig line....

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I do think it's a little elitist, you know, the whole 'may justly be pronounced' thing.

Oh, wait...you mean mine? What about it?

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

NewsRadio

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Scrubs (4th season just came out on Tuesday)
    Battlestar Galactica (the new one)
    Deadwood
    and Weeds is very good too.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, that's Denny. He doesn't have much of a role in Weeds, though. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying that he's dead (on Weeds), since he's dead before the first scene.

What to watch (in no particular, just as they come to me):

Alias -- first two seasons. As good anything you'll find on TV. Stop after that. No matter how much you think you want to see season 3, you don't. Trust me.

Rescue Me -- funniest hour on TV hands down. Nothing else even comes close, and it also mixes in some very good drama.

The Shield -- Really good. It's one of those shows that makes you a little nervous as you're watching, which means it's good.

The Sopranos -- The first three seasons are probably the best in the history of TV. A slight dropoff after that, but still the best show on TV, when it's, you know, on TV.

House -- if you like smartasses, House is your guy. Well done show and one hell of a lead by Laurie.

Lost -- Great storyline and story telling.

Grey's Anatomy -- Has a soap opera feel to it, but it's very well done.

Boston Legal -- the second funniest hour on TV, especially the first season.

The Wire -- You've got to give this one time. It's not going to wow you with one episode. The writing is very, very good and it's probably the smartest, most honest show on TV. Give it three episodes and you'll be hooked for good.

If you like 30-minute comedies: The Office (American version) should be first, followed by Weeds, My Name is Earl, Scrubs.

One that never gets mentioned, but should: Over There -- had a one-season run on FX a year ago.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

When I couldn't sleep last night I ran across an episode of Alias. Never saw it before. Jennifer Garner is smokin'. Anyway, seemed like a cool, trippy, X-Files'esque show. Last night's episode had Ethan Hawke on it, and it was about how certain people with special genes can alter their facial appearance (or something like that). Good viewing.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The Sopranos
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Arrested Development

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Curb Your Enthusiasm -- definitely.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

WKRP fans, beware the new DVD of the first season. I'm a big fan (obviously, see sig line), but the lack of original music is a huge disappointment and distraction. There's Johnny Fever, dancing in the DJ booth with his microphone, etc., but what you hear instead of a late-'70s hit are some generic guitar riffs. If you knew the series in its original form, it's really annoying. I read all the stories before the DVD release about the problems in securing music rights and how they worked to replace lost music with something similar, and thought "meh, it'll be fine." It's not.

Rant over.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Don't forget seasons two and three.

Also, how is Seinfeld not mentioned on this list? I'm also a big fan of Married With Children. Those discs get me through the nights.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted