1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what TV show dvds should I check out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, Oct 7, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I've gone without cable for eight month now, and while I find I don't miss TV as much as I thought I would, I'd like to find some programs on DVD I could get into. That way, I'd always have something to watch after work on my laptop (and I'd know what the hell people are talking about on the TV-related threads around here). Anyway, given the propensity for TV veiwing among the crew here, I figured I'd ask for advice on which shows to start renting. Outside of CSI and Rescue Me, I really haven't gotten into any TV shows in the last 5 years or so, so I'm pretty much a blank slate.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The Office, Seasons 1 and 2

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

weeds

my name is earl

freaks and geeks

sopranos

the job

4. pallister

pallister Guest

What is "Weeds"?

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

A wonderful show about a mom selling weed in her upper-middle class neighborhood.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

"Entourage" is very entertaining. The first couple of years of "Six Feet Under" were great. "Deadwood" is very good. "24" and "Lost" are good selections too.

7. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Hey there, I loooooooove NetFlix just for this reason. I miss so many TV shows and it's a great way to catch up on some that I've missed. A few oldies that I got hooked on through NetFlix were The West Wing (start at Season 1) and Alias.
    Here are a few others I'd recommend:
    The Shield
    The Wire
    Nip/Tuck
    Rescue Me
    Entourage
    The Sopranos
    Oz
    And, though I've never watched the DVDs, The Office (US version) is the best comedy on television right now and if you haven't been watching, you must start.

8. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

"24." In my opinion, it's the best show on television. And It's great to watch on DVD b/c you can knock out a few episodes at a time. I have a heterosexual man-crush on Jack Bauer. I'm not sure what that says about me.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

LOST, 24 and The Sopranos, which I think have all been mentioned on here.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is another.

Also - I'm glad to see that the U.S. Office is now getting unqualified love. Remember for so long how if you brought it up, someone would say, "The British version is better."

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll jump in on the Weeds bandwagon...

It may be the best half-hour show on television... Truly fucking hilarious....

11. May I recommend:
    ttp://www.amazon.com/F-Troop-Complete-First-Season/dp/B000EQ46HI/sr=8-1/qid=1160235507/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9390358-0167305?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

12. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Reno 911

Entourage

Lost

Rescue Me

Arrested Development

Draft saved Draft deleted