1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to wear...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by G-Spot, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, in fairness, it did look like one of those "just released from prison suits" from an old chain-gang movie.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

SE in Birks? Anyone we know? ;D :eek:

3. Get busy livin. Or get busy writin that prep volleyball gamer.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You never actually said if you were a guy or a woman, but in either case, wear the suit. Not only does it show that you own a suit, it shows that you know you should wear a suit.

Also, for guys in general: no cuteness on the tie, and lose the earring.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've always worn a suit (generally with a skirt even!) and normal pumps (1-inch heel as opposed to my 3-4 inch ones that I wear normally).

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Once interviewed a guy who came in with Beethoven crap on his tie. Against my better judgment, we hired him. I was wrong. It turned out to be a pretty good hire.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'd shy away from a skirt. I think taylored slacks make a much better impression.

I may feel differently in an hour, but I wouldn't wear a skirt to an interview.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'll second it: You can't overdress for a job interview.

I'm not completely sure, but I think the snazzy suit had 10x more to do with being hired at my current gig than whatever qualifications I might have had. ;)

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sports coat, tie and slacks.

Right about now, somebody (sometimes me) points out that you need to shine your shoes for the gig.

And DO NOT even think about wearing shoes you can't shine.

10. joe

joe Active Member

You got that right.

11. True story: Not long ago, I saw a guy come into our office wearing a golf shirt (didn't get a good look at the pants). Needless to say, I didn't see him reappear for a second interview.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Skirts are the more conservative option for women, FJ. Knee length, of course. Look at what high-powered women (bankers, most politicians, etc.) wear. It's almost always a skirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted