1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to get a masters in?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bullwinkle, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Like many of you, I'm sure, I am looking to bail out of the newspaper business and head to grad school to pursue a masters degree. Problem is, I don't know what I should get a masters in.

I have a journalism undergraduate degree. Not sure what that translates to. Ultimately, I'm not sure what I'm after...but I do know that I don't want anything to do with math, and that becoming a college professor is something that's intriguing.

Any suggestions? I know I'm doing a poor job of explaining my situation, but hopefully this might generate some ideas. To simplify my confusing post, here's my situation:

1. I have an undergraduate journalism degree and newspaper experience.
    2. I want to pursue a masters degree in something that might be a good "fit" ... something that translates well from journalism, and something that hopefully stays as far away from math as possible.
    3. Becoming a college professor is an option I'd consider. But teach what?

I'm not asking you guys to put yourself in my situation--you obviously don't know me--but what would YOU consider if you were to take this path? I appreciate the help. ???

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

q u ee

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

That's just the thing: it seems that many of the graduate programs I've looked at require certain undergrad requirements to be met, which I don't have. For instance, a graduate degree in marketing might require some sort of field research course. Or, a degree in psychology might require a few theory courses, etc.

Since I got my undergrad in journalism (less than four years ago), I don't have the requirements for these particular options in grad school. And, I'd prefer not to go back and take undergrad courses.

Again, I'm not trying to back myself into a corner here. I'm just seeking opinions. So, let me rephrase my post and put it this way: If you had an undergraduate degree in journalism, and then decided to pursue a masters....what would you get it in? Would a journalism degree translate to this particular graduate program?

Thanks for the help. (and sorry for lack of clarity. i'm sort of drunk, and am going through a pre mid-life crisis).

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm going back in either Historic Preservation or Public Policy. Neither have any real required undergrad degree (although my Poli Sci minor will probably help with both).

5. newgrad2008

newgrad2008 New Member

I'm getting my masters in sociology. I'm going to focus on current entertainment, like social networking sites and shows with a cult-like following. It's a relatively new field and I'm excited to get started.

As for you, have you looked at communications or PR? Also, many of those programs will still accept you conditionally even if you don't have all the undergrads as long as you take them your first or second semester.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nothing.

Seriously, and I'm not saying this to be a dick at all, but of all the things to do these days, why would you want to go FURTHER into debt to get another degree that will just give prospective employers another reason not to hire you? They'll see your additional education and figure they'll have to pay you more than the 22-year-old with the bachelor's.

The only reason I'd go back to school is to buy some time while this fucking economy shakes itself out. But even that's not nearly enough for me.

I have no idea what I'll be doing in the next two or three years. I know, for a fact, I am not going back to school. Ever.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Thanks for the post, BYH.

I appreciate the advice, even if I don't necessarily agree with the idea that "more" education is a bad thing. First off, let me just say that money isn't really a struggle right now. And, let me also say, money is not my primary focus, nor is it why I'm considering going back to school.

I just want to love what I do for a living, that's all. If that means becoming a professor...then so be it. Maybe I'm wrong, but there will always be a demand for educators. And, I might be wrong again, but there will always be a demand for highly educated people, no?

I don't have all the answers. I wish I did. And part of me is just really, really confused right now...as I try to gauge the future of journalism, my place in the industry, and other (more desirable?) paths that could open up other opportunities.

8. WS

WS Member

Human Resource Management.
    I got a journalism undergrad, but all you have to do to get in the HRM program here for a Master's is have a 2.5 GPA, get a rec letter and pass the GRE.

9. gretchd

gretchd Member

I'm thinking of getting an MBA. I just finished a master's degree, but really like the thought of an accelerated MBA program right now.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Journalism?
    Reporting in the internet age?
    Communications?
    English composition?

Lots of classes up your alley you could teach.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

While I certainly understand your reasoning, I will say that you don't have to go into debt to go to, or back to, school.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

From someone who's done it, don't get it in history! That is all.

And BYH, while the economy isn't the reason I'm going back (in something that might actually be able to get me a job this time!), it's not too far down the list, really.

I wouldn't do it solely for that reason, but it's an important consideration.

Draft saved Draft deleted