1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pickle_Juice, Jun 14, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would have preferred a cindylouwho thread. At least there'd be the possibility of Sapphic action.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I hear there are good things in the world of cutlery.

3. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

No pickle, you're not the only one depressed about our industry. It's frustrating because young people don't read newspapers anymore, so basically, every time someone dies we lose a reader we'll never get back.

I think a better question is will newspapers be around in 10 years?

I don't know the answer, but in the meantime, we should be doing everything we can to connect our product (and readers) to our Web sites. That's likely our future. Going digital would eliminate a mountain of overhead in our business (paper, ink, press and mailroom employees, cost of delivery).

4. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Meantime, try to stay away from sharp objects.

5. Pickle_Juice

Pickle_Juice Member

I am not sure who cindly lou who is so I cannot answer you.

6. dooley_womack1

A funner sock puppet. And the Dolphins will miss you.

7. Pickle_Juice

Pickle_Juice Member

Thank you for your even toned well thought response. I agree!! I have thought for years that the Web was the wave of the future and yet our newspaper still devotes probably 86% of its resources to the print version. Why can't we get advertisers to buy Web ads???

Wow that is a scary thought, no newspapers in 10 years. I never would have thought that 10 years ago!!

Thanks.

8. Pickle_Juice

Pickle_Juice Member

What is it with the infatuation with Sock puppets around here???

9. dooley_womack1

We still miss the Pets.com sock puppet, so we hang on to the legacy as best we can.

10. Pickle_Juice

Pickle_Juice Member

Gosh I guess!! Hahaha.

11. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I think we created a major hurdle for ourselves when we went to the Internet and basically dumped our product on our Web pages for free. That was a really bad idea. It gave readers a reason to stop buying the paper.

Sidenote: we post our rack sales daily in the newsroom, and a couple weeks ago -- for whatever reason -- our Web page didn't get updated for two days. Guess what happened? Yep, our rack sales spiked.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Who's the puppet master?

This is entertaining.

And, to address the thread, I too am disheartened by the state of our industry, but I'm optimistic that that talent behind the written word and the talent behind solid news reporting will both continue to have a place in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted