1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do with your letter jacket?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I am trying to cull as many things as I can before I make the move into home ownership and was wondering just what to do with my letter jacket? I was thinking of Goodwill, but I don't think there is anyone else who went to Podunk High named Brooklyn who played football and graduated in the 90s.

I also just don't want to throw it out--recycling and all. Is there an organization that would recycle it? I actually have a few things that recycling would make a lot of sense, just don't know where to go?

Thx.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the things about home ownership is you can keep shit like that without having to pay extra for storage units.

Seriously, keep it. Your kids will get a kick out of it some day. Or, maybe not.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Move to NJ where lettermen jackets are still in style for aging ex players.

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

keep it, your kids will think it's cool and wear it someday.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Any chance you can leave it with your parents or a sibling? It's a nice memory of your HS days, would be a shame to dump it. And if you go steady you can give it to your girlfriend! :D

Plus, if you're like me, you find it fun to occasionally look at my old letterman jacket and weep at how much weight I'd have to lose to make it fit.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Keep it. Once it gets into the back of a closet in your new home you'll forget you have it. I hear what you're saying about getting rid of crap to make for an easier move, but one jacket won't make it that much more horrible.

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

Good question. Some ideas:

* See if your high school's athletic department wants it for history's sake... or to put in one of the trophy cases.

* Put it in the time capsule at your next reunion?

* Halloween costume? Or maybe you can give it to a local costume or props store

* Remove the letter and keep that, but junk the coat.

Good luck. I have the same problem with two satin jackets from my old (non-school related) sporting days that I'd never wear again, but can't seem to give up.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I've thrown out most of my high school shit, but my letterman jacket isn't going anywhere.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Mine is upstairs and will likely stay there until I die and someone else has to deal with it. I broke it out about two years to wear it to an 80s party but it was like wearing a girdle.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Keep it. Even though you may no longer wear it, it's good for the memories.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I kept it. Used it as a prop when I spoke at the state association's Mr. Football banquet.
    Was kind of like the before in the Charles Atlas ads...

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

A former girlfriend has mine, I haven't seen it in eons. I'm pretty sure she got rid of it somewhere along the line, too -- not out of bitterness or anything, just that it wasn't that great a jacket. Our HS couldn't afford anything good.

Draft saved Draft deleted