1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do with shithole?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jan 12, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm imagining there were sighs of relief from deskers everywhere when Nancy Pelosi described the Republicans' spending bill as "a bowl of doggy doo."

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You raise some good questions, Azrael.

I certainly don't think anything needs to be "dumbed down" for smaller circulation dailies, but since the emphasis is mainly on local news, I think when you run stories about Trump or other political squabbles, they need to be worth the space. The president disparaging African countries with profanity obviously was. I think our shop's decision to leave shithole in the AP story and work around it in the headline was the right call.

We've had several readers from our deeply conservative part of the country object to AP's coverage of Trump, saying it's inherently biased against him. At first I laughed it off ... but then I thought, the Associated Press — at its best — is trying to provide coverage for every news organization that subscribes. Many of those serve readers who are blindly loyal to Trump, many others serve readers who automatically despise everything he says.

Is it possible to serve both of those groups with a single, impartial politics story? I'm not so sure.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

If the right call was to run shithole in the headline, then how come 99 percent of newspapers didn't do it? The point is these assholes are taking this opinion because it makes Trump look bad and furthers their agenda. Truth is, it should NEVER go in the headline no matter if Trump, Obama or Honest Abe said it. It doesn't belong and that's the bottom line.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

There's your headline. Go big, six columns:
    Assholes still butthurt over ‘shithole’

Bronco77 and Doc Holliday like this.
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I like your style.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

And thaaaaaat's the bottom line, because Doc Holliday said so!!

Stone-Cold-Steve-Austin-Finger-wwestalker.jpg

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Wipe.

Duh.

Draft saved Draft deleted