1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do with shithole?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jan 12, 2018.

1. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

I'd say the same to you given you can't seem to understand how a person could keep their job after using "Shithole" in a headline.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

At our shop (15K daily) we went up the chain of command. We asked the ME and he asked the publisher.

Shithole stayed in the AP story, but not the headline.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You realize for every metro newspaper, there are about 100 mid-size and small community newspapers right? So, show me some mid-size or smaller newspapers that used it in their lead headline.

4. Doc Holliday

This is what 90 percent of newspapers did. But JCT doesn't think so and he thinks they all should have put shithole in the headline. smh.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  5. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Don't print it. Why offend what's left of your readership when you don't have to. Everyone can figure out what word is being censored.

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I've always said if it's worth reporting on, spell it out. It's part of the language. If it seems gratuitous and you can paraphrase and avoid it, that's fine. If it adds valuable colour and impacts the tone of a quote, use it. And if it is the story, as "shithole" was, you have a duty to use it.

Like others, I'm not sure I'd blow it up in a headline, but I'd definitely run it.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you, but I'd like to know how you feel about the N-word.

8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

_ _ _ _hole, for both subhead and AP story.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

While I understand the debate over whether or not to print verbatim a presidential obscenity or vulgarity, I don't understand what circulation numbers have to do with it.

Are small town residents somehow more delicate? More pious? More refined?

Are theirs not the very kitchen tables around which the administration claims these phrases arise?

Do they not deserve an accurate representation of what's being said and done in their name?

HanSenSE and matt_garth like this.
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

11. Doc Holliday

Then you don't understand how journalism and small town politics work in middle America. But, then again, that's why the media has been wrong about a lot of things for about two years now.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Then by all means, please educate me.

Draft saved Draft deleted