1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do with shithole?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Been out of town for the past week and saw several newspapers; also read the hometown newspaper online. I was a bit surprised that almost all of them kept the word in the story, although no newspaper used it in a headline.

Standards certainly have changed in this regard. A very good copy editor with my former employer let "pissed off" slip into sports copy about 25 years ago and received a stern talking-to, followed by a memo to the staff from the sports editor about the use of "swear words." Most papers probably wouldn't have a problem with it now.

2. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Given I've seen The Washington Post, Politico, CNN, etc. all use it in a headline, it's pretty safe to say all of those people weren't immediately fired for doing so. But I know that won't stop you from thinking that.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It's my assumption that most members here don't work for WaPo, Politico and CNN. Try that at the Corpus Christi Caller Times and see what happens to your ass.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

One would hope — although, certainly, it doesn't happen everywhere — that there would be some conversation between the publisher and the editor, and then between the editor and the news desk, about what would be acceptable.

If the desk — at any organization, from the Washington Post to the Corpus Christi Caller Times — is making its own, renegade decisions in situations like this, that's more a failure of newsroom leadership than the desk.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A lot of places will still fire you for saying “booger.”

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you're referring to the Post and Politico online, and not in their printed forums. There is a difference between running it as an 18-point hed atop a story page and a 60-point hed on A1.

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Just ask Dr. Johnny Fever.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Doc Holliday

He doesn't seem to get that viewpoint.

9. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

I guess I'd only understand that viewpoint if I worked at the Corpus Christi Caller Times, right?

10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Nice one, CNN.

Attached Files:

11. Doc Holliday

If you had any experience and professionalism, you should understand the viewpoint no matter where you work.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

She must be well-hung.

Draft saved Draft deleted