1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do with shithole?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jan 12, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Saw this tweet on a friend's feed, and of course it inspired me to start the usual navel-gazing thread here.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The “president” said it. Report it.

This is where we are.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I’d bet most newspapers (Times notwithstanding) edited the word, but I think the seal has been broken. You will see more unedited instances of every curse word except the F-bomb going forward.

4. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought we moved past that when the Post published Cheney telling Leahy to go fuck homself.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter who said it. You don't run it. You either print those things all the time or you don't.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I find the conundrum that broadcasters faced last night more intriguing than newspaper publishers.

NBC was apparently the only over-the-air network to use the president's words in full: Trump calls Haiti and African countries 'shithole' nations

I'm curious how their affiliates handled that, and whether any complaints will be forthcoming to the FCC.

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

The President of the United States said it. ... About certain countries. ... In regards to our immigration policy. ... In which people from those countries are here or are trying to come here. ...

Print it.

I Should Coco and BrendaStarr like this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What is going overboard on being safe? Reading NYT story about this, it said that Wolf Blitzer opted for "s-hole." That struck me as weird.

11. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

Incorrect. In this regard, quotes are not unlike photographs. If the quote is so powerful and so moving that it will have a great impact on the population, you must run it.

BrendaStarr and wicked like this.
  12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

The word, and its use by the president in a flagrant act of anti-diplomacy, is the news. You run it.

I wouldn't put it in the headline, myself, but in text? Oh, you bet.

I will note that CNN had the word in four places on its homepage this afternoon.

Draft saved Draft deleted