1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do with 500-pound dad?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

A friend of mine and former coworker has a huge dilemma on his hands, literally. His 500+ pound father was just fired from his job and has nowhere to go because he was a trucker and basically lived out of his rig.
    Not only is dad a biggun, he also has the trucker stench. Apparently, every time he visits they have to fumigate the house because of his B.O. He also has been banned from at least one hotel for being so smelly. His father has been a worry for some time and, although we do joke around about him, I have told him someone needs to step in with some tough love and get the guy help. Apparently my buddy's grandparents offered to get their son stapled and help him rehab, but he refused.
    Now that he is out of work and only has a month of health insurance left, he doesn't have a clue what to do with the guy. So, go ahead and have fun with this, but if you have some real insight or suggestions for the guy, please let me know.
    I told him to contact the folks atl the TV show "Intervention."
  2. Good lord. Please tell me you're making this up.
  3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

or, failing that:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just sat down to type, "I wash myself with a rag on a stick."
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Seriously, dude just needs some tough love and a job counselor at the unemployment office.
  6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If the guy refused the stapling, he's got to take initiative if he really wants to live. But something tells me he doesn't give a shit anymore; even worse, he's unemployed now and probably feeling the worst of the worst.
  8. John

John Well-Known Member

At the same time, there's not point in doing the surgery if the guy isn't prepared to change the way he lives.
  9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Right. I was leaning toward working out or doing some walking to shed some pounds.
  10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cut him in half and make two NFL linebackers?
  11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

At 500, he's too heavy for stomach stapling. It's an extremely dangerous procedure, and respectable surgeons never do it on somebody that heavy.
  12. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Absolutely right, Mike. You can embark on all the intervention programs you want, but it's up to him to want to do something to save his own life.

Perhaps you could send him to the Duke weight loss clinic?
Draft saved Draft deleted