1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do when your editor really screws up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Well it was not until I looked at the Job Board that I saw the drip the poster about 2 minutes ago, so know I know.

2. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

And nowing is half the battle.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

POP, you got some good advice on this thread. I suggest you do more reading and writing on your own and less posting here.

By the way, I suspect you are a good kid and just don't understand why you aren't coming off in a good light because you're a kid. You're just 13 or 14. I think some of the people here who have criticized you probably have higher expectations for your maturity than they ought to have.

Kids are going to be kids. All of us were a little dumb and annoying when we were 13. We grew out of it. Most of us.

4. I agree on all points. However I do need to be more mature. Thanks

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This. Your boss can't realistically be expected to do your job as well as you did in this day and age.

Take it from someone forced into chasing after the competition at times, even though you're going to be chasing the other outlets who got this story, you can still make your follow up better than any of theirs.

If you feel as though you must address it with your boss, go talk to him. I'd recommend the tone used by Moddy in the first response to this thread.

I've filled in on a beat before. It's not easy, especially when the beat writer has already-established relationships and I'm coming in cold, but it can be done.

Draft saved Draft deleted