1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do when your editor really screws up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Apr 4, 2010.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

POP,

You're not "ruining" anything, or hurting anyone.

You must realize, though, that what Stitch says is true, and really, we're trying not to hurt you.

This is a professional/industry message board, not a Web site typically frequented by teens. We get the occasional high school kid wanting career advice, but, you're the first eighth-grader that I, at least, have ever seen/heard of on here.

So...

If you're going to frequent this board -- especially the Journalism Topics board, which, as I've mentioned to you before, is something that we try to keep strictly profession-related and that we usually take seriously -- you need to realize and be mindful of your place, and with whom you're interacting.

Try to be very aware and cognizant of us, and think about what you're saying and writing, and how you might be coming across.

Realize that Stitch and others are writing/reading/chatting about editors who, in many cases, have been working professionally for a long time. Understand that we are people who rely on and care about our jobs as livelihoods. We don't do them "for fun" or "for practice," and we are seeing/discussing things from that perspective.

You, on the other hand, are in eighth grade. And, if she is anything like you, so is the editor of your school paper. This is what Stitch references regarding "real issues," and is a significant difference between you and others on this board.

Realize that your editor probably should be screwing up at this point. She is learning, hopefully, just like you are, hopefully. But it doesn't really count yet, and frankly, it won't, for a long time. That's what school is for -- to try things out -- and, as hard as you're trying, these things are all still just a hobby, an extracurricular activity, for you. The perspective is entirely different.

You can see that, can't you? Hopefully so. And, if so, then you should write and chat on here with that in mind, being clean and respectful, treading carefully, and trying to be thoughtful and learn...as opposed to answering back and being argumentative just for the sake of it, or telling other posters what to do.

In short, if you're going to hang out here, you need to act like something older than an eighth-grader.

As I've said before, your initiative is good. But really, you should not be taking yourself, or this stuff, quite so seriously at this point, or be getting so confrontational.

Because, after a while, you won't be seen as having initiative or tenacity (both of which are frequently hallmarks of good reporters, and characteristics often valued by good editors). You'll just be seen as combative, and you'll be treated accordingly, both on this board and in real life.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're Drip's sock puppet.

3. It was 2008 (or 2007), and I am not sure of the exact date. Also, when I was saying I was angry, I was angry about the "accidental" deletion of my article about the super bowl.

4. It was 2008 (or 2007), and I am not sure of the exact date. Also, when I was saying I was angry, I was angry about the "accidental" deletion of my article about the super bowl.
    Thank you for a better explanation. I understand what you are saying and will act more mature. I do like to think of myself as more mature. I have a little brother with autism so it makes you mature more quickly. One detail I would like to point out. The editor of the paper is the school librarian who has done this for a while. If it was a kid, I could understand. But the editor has done this for a while and I feel should not be making these mistakes.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Adding to what WriteThinking posted, the best way to start out a career in journalism is not to post everything you write online and expect everyone to teach you everything about journalism. It won't help you, especially at your age.

Good journalism is about getting out in the world and interacting with people, learning what the story is and maybe finding the right editor to mentor you along the way. That's not going to happen in your teen years, especially if ask for a critique of every game recap you write. Just read and learn, but don't expect to take any shortcuts along the way.

As for "real issues", I don't know of POP knows how bad the industry has been lately, but many people who devoted their lives to the businesses were lost their livelihoods and had to uproot their families. There are many still in the business who thought they could move up to bigger and better papers, but the opportunities aren't as numerous. And many are doing the work that two or three people used to do, all for lower and lower pay.

Many of the openings posted on the job board would qualify for food stamps or Medicaid if the reporter was married and had a kid. You go to college and graduate, and still make less than workers at Walmart in some cases. Those are "real issues" and those who complain about school librarians who play "editor" and accidentally delete a file don't get much sympathy. Understand that most of us use this board to learn and also to vent. It helps us get through our day a little easier.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

All of this.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why are you up so late on a "school night"?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because he's Drip.

9. The duke game had just ended, and I was a little bit hyper, 2 Mountain Dews and I had to wait until about 12:30 for them to wear off.

10. Is drip a poster? Or are you saying that I am boring?

11. I agree with what you are saying. I am here to become a better writer not to make enemies. And I know people do not like me. I do know how bad the newspaper industry. The only part that I raise a question to is how, I am interrupting or what ever I am doing to interfere with real issues? (so I can avoid doing them in the future.)

12. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

ob·tuse
    adj. ob·tus·er, ob·tus·est
    a. Lacking quickness of perception or intellect.
    b. Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity: an obtuse remark.

Draft saved Draft deleted